Skip over navigation

Staff members are often among the first to notice that something is amiss with a student. You may be concerned that a student is acting strangely or seems depressed, but it may not be clear how you might be helpful. This site summarizes resources available to you and to the student.

If a student’s behavior is significantly out of control, or you believe that someone’s life may be in danger, phone the Department of Public Safety immediately at (401) 863-4111.

Key Contacts for Assistance

Mon-Fri office day hours
Nights, Weekends & when the University is closed
For a concern about immediate harm or threat Brown Public Safety
(401) 863-4111
Brown Public Safety
(401) 863-4111
For a concern about a student’s behavior, to consult on having action taken, or for support:

Office of Student Life
(401) 863-3145

Office of Student Life
(401) 863-3322
Public Safety will contact the on-call dean/administrator to assist you.

To access counseling, to consult about a situation or for urgent contact with a Clinician-on-call Psychological Services
(401) 863-3476
(401) 863-3476
In urgent situations, call the Psychological Services number and follow the prompts to reach the on-call provider.

For support with an academic issue:

  For undergraduate students

Dean of the College office
(401) 863-9800

  For graduate students

Dean of the Graduate School office
(401) 863-2600


  For medical students

Medical School office
(401) 863-3330