Skip over navigation

Friends are often the first to notice that a student might be experiencing significant distress. You may be concerned that a friend or acquaintance is acting strangely or seems depressed, but it may not be clear how you might be helpful. Another student may have also brought a concern to you about someone he or she knows. This page summarizes resources available to you and to all undergraduate, graduate, and medical students.

Key Contacts for Assistance

Mon-Fri office day hours Nights, Weekends & when the University is closed
For a concern about immediate harm or threat Brown Public Safety
(401) 863-4111
Brown Public Safety
(401) 863-4111
For a concern about a student’s behavior, to consult on having action taken, or for support:

Office of Student Life
(401) 863-3145

Office of Student Life
(401) 863-3322
Public Safety will contact the on-call dean or administrator to assist you.

To access counseling, to consult about a situation or for urgent contact with a Clinician-on-call Psychological Services
(401) 863-3476
(401) 863-3476
In urgent situations, call the Psychological Services number and follow the prompts to reach the on-call provider.

For support with an academic issue:

  For undergraduate students

Dean of the College office
(401) 863-9800

  For graduate students

Dean of the Graduate School office
(401) 863-2600


  For medical students

Medical School office
(401) 863-3330


As a student trying to assist another student, keep in mind that there are many resources on this campus to which you can refer a friend or acquaintance who needs help. You should never feel that you are in this alone or need to solve the problem yourself.

This site includes information about how to assist in making a referral for:

  • sexual assault, sexual harassment, or relationship violence
  • alcohol or drug abuse
  • a medical concern
  • someone whom you suspect might be suicidal

You can also seek consultation for yourself or get support if you feel burdened in your helping role. You should be thinking about making a referral or directing your friend to a resource – not taking his or her problem on yourself.

Community Directors and Residential Peer Leaders are resources in your residence hall for consultation or to get additional information. You can also ask them to speak with a friend or make a call for you or someone you know. If you do not know the CD or RPL in your area, click here to find the name and contact information for your residence hall.

If an individual’s behavior is significantly out of control, or you believe that someone’s life may be in danger, phone the Department of Public Safety (863-4111) immediately.