American Express Corporate Card Program
Brown has chosen to use the American Express Corporate Card to facilitate the management of travel expenditures. The Corporate Card is the primary payment vehicle for all travel expenses incurred by Brown travelers. The Corporate Card program provides travelers with a wide variety of travel benefits and allows the University to capture travel data that is vital for management reporting and vendor negotiations.
Corporate Card Eligibility
All full-time employees who take at least one trip per year are strongly encouraged to apply for an American Express Corporate Card. Employees can obtain a Corporate Card application by clicking here.
Fill out the top sections of the form (with the exception of the Cost Center Number) and mail the completed applications to the Controller's Office, Box J or fax the form to 863-3099. The form will be reviewed by the Controller's Office and authorized for submission to American Express. The card will be mailed directly to the traveler by American Express within two weeks of receipt of the application. In an emergency, a card can be obtained within 48 hours by contacting the Senior Accounts Payable Specialist at 3-1657. American Express charges $25.00 to the cardholder for express service.
Use of Corporate Card
The American Express Corporate Card should be used for all business travel expenses including:
- Air travel
- Car rental
- Rail travel
- Misc. travel expenses
The Corporate Card is issued for Brown business purposes. All charges made using the card are the financial responsibility of the individual cardholder. The employee is reimbursed for business expenses through submission of a Travel Expense Report.
Corporate Card Payment
The cardholder is responsible for payment under the terms and conditions of the American Express Cardholder Agreement. American Express will bill the cardholder directly each month and the balance is due and payable in full upon receipt. If American Express does not receive payment within 30 days of the statement date, cardholders will receive a written warning. If bills are not paid within 60 days, future charge privileges will be suspended. Bills not paid within ninety days will result in card cancellation. Late fees or reinstatement fees assessed to the account are the responsibility of the individual and will not be reimbursed by Brown. There is no annual fee for use of the Corporate Card.
Individuals should contact American Express directly to inform them of a temporary or permanent change in billing address or for billing questions.
Reimbursement for Corporate Card Charges
Please refer to the Travel Expense Reimbursement section.
Corporate Card Benefits
Under the terms of Brown's agreement with American Express, travelers receive the following benefits:
- No annual fee.
- Business Travel Accident Insurance. Accidental death and dismemberment insurance covers all travelers who charge common carrier transportation to their American Express Corporate Card. The coverage is up to $350,000 (depending on loss) and supplements the University's business travel coverage.
- Business Car Rental Loss Damage Insurance. The Program automatically covers cardmembers for loss or damage to a rental automobile when the rental is charged to the Corporate Card on a daily or weekly rental basis to a maximum rental period of 42 days. The Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or similar option offered by the rental agency must be declined. Maximum coverage for either loss or damage to a vehicle is $50,000.
- Baggage Insurance. Travelers who charge airline tickets to the Card automatically receive insurance coverage of up to $1,250 for carry-on luggage and up to $500 over and above the coverage provided by the airline for checked luggage.
- Emergency Assistance. Through Global Assist, Corporate Card member travelers can get medical or legal referrals anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day. Global Assist will supply travelers with telephone numbers of local health care providers, give information about inoculations, visas, and US. Consulates. Call: 24-Hour Global Assist Hotline, (800) 554-AMEX or from overseas, call collect, (715) 343-7979.
- Check Cashing Privileges. More than 2,000 American Express Travel Services Offices worldwide offer personal check cashing privileges.
- Guaranteed Reservations. American Express Assured Reservations protect travelers against loss of accommodations due to unforeseen travel delays. If for any reason the reserved room is not available, the lodging facility will provide the traveler with a comparable or better room at a nearby hotel (first night free), transportation to that hotel, and a three minute phone call.
- 24 Hour Customer Service. Twenty-four hour customer service is available at (800) 528-2122 within the US.; overseas travelers should call collect to (715) 343-7977. An American Express representative will assist travelers with:
- lost or stolen cards - emergency card replacement
- monthly statements/balances - billing disputes
- nearest office location - cardholder benefits/service
Termination of Employment
Upon termination of employment, all corporate cardholders must:
- promptly pay any remaining balance
- call (800) 528-2122 to cancel the card
- destroy the credit card