June 3, 2011
Course Lottery, Academic Questionnaire, & UCAAP Application
Greetings from Brown! Beginning today and throughout the summer, the Dean of the College Office will email you every Friday. These emails contain important information about course offerings and lotteries, academic advising, and campus life issues. This is your first weekly email. You may want to create a Brown summer email folder to archive the emails for easy reference; you can also find them on the Orientation website under "Summer Academic Planning."
This week you need to know three things:
1. A first-year course lottery opens Monday, June 6.
2. The Academic Interests Questionnaire must be completed by Friday, June 17, at 5 pm.
3. Applications for UCAAP, an optional pre-Orientation program, are due on Wednesday, June 15, at 5 pm.
1. First-year course lottery (opens June 6)
This lottery places students in Curricular Advising Program (CAP) courses and first-year seminars (FYS). CAP allows students to take a course from a professor who is also their academic advisor. First-year seminars enroll a maximum of twenty first-year students and are taught by Brown faculty in all areas of the curriculum. Some first-year seminars are also CAP courses. Both programs are optional.
A complete list of FYS and CAP courses will be available on our website at http://www.brown.edu/college">http://www.brown.edu/college. (Click on the "New Students" button at top left.) Once you’ve read the FYS/CAP descriptions and noted the courses that interest you, return to the same webpage to enter the lottery.
2. Academic Interests Questionnaire (due June 17)
This short form, available on Monday, asks about your academic interests and career aspirations. Go to http://www.brown.edu/college">http://www.brown.edu/college and click on "New Students" in the top left corner to access the questionnaire. The information you provide will help us match you with a first-year advisor.
3. UCAAP application (due June 15)
The University-Community Academic Advising Program matches first-year students with advisors whose academic work connects with service in the community. UCAAP starts on Wednesday, August 31—three days before the required general orientation. If you are interested in UCAAP, you can read about the program and submit your application at http://swearercenter.brown.edu/advising/ucaap.
There's a lot to do this summer to get ready for Brown.* If you have any questions about the steps you need to complete, don't hesitate to email us or call 401-863-9800. We'll be happy to answer your questions.
The Advising Team at Brown
* A note about your summer information packet from our office: If you have not received your summer packet via domestic post by Wednesday, June 8, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com. If you have not received it via international post by Monday, June 13, please email us at the same address.