Interim Deputy Dean of the College
Associate Dean of the College for Writing and Curriculum
Bruce E. Donovan Class of 1959 Dean of Chemical Dependency
Kathleen McSharry earned her B.A. in English from the University of California at Berkeley and her M.A. and Ph.D. in English from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Before coming to Brown in 2005, McSharry worked as an English professor, English Department Chair, and general education administrator. Her publications focus on Holocaust pedagogy and standards-based approaches to assessing general education learning outcomes.
As Associate Dean for Writing and Curriculum, McSharry oversees special curricular programs for the College, including Brown’s First-Year Seminar Program and the writing requirement. In her capacity as Dean for Issues of Chemical Dependency, McSharry provides comprehensive academic support to students recovering from chemical dependency and works with other offices on campus to establish policies and procedures regarding alcohol and other drugs on campus.
Dean McSharry's responsibilities include:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Credits
- Curricular Grants
- First-Year Seminar Program
- GISPs, ISPs, and Academic Internships
- Liberal Learning, Diversity Perspectives, and Writing-designated courses
- Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency
- Writing Competency and Writing Requirement
- Web and Print Publications