In general, Brown University employees and students must not engage in spill response for hazardous substances such as chemical, biological, and radioactive materials. However, in some situations, such as clean up of incidental spills (i.e., a few drops), it is appropriate for the person who caused the incidental spill to clean up the material but only if they have been properly trained and have the appropriate equipment. All other spills must be reported to Brown University Public Safety at 401-863-4111 so that the Environmental Health & Safety Emergency Response Team may be activated.
In the event of a hazardous substance emergency or spill, the following action should be taken:
- Immediately alert all personnel to evacuate the room.
- Once everyone is out, close the door behind you.
- Find a nearby phone and contact Brown University Public Safety at 401-863-4111.
- Tend to injured or contaminated personnel.
- Stay in the general area, at a safe distance away, and wait for emergency responders.
- Introduce yourself to emergency responders as they arrive. Emergency responders want to ensure that the information they have is accurate and that conditions have not changed since the initial phone call was made.
Injury – Always seek medical consultation for injuries by contacting Brown University’s Health Services at 401-863-3953. Report all injuries within 48-hours of the occurrence to the Office of Insurance and Risk at 401-863-9481 or at the following URL:
Reporting – As a follow up to any hazardous substance incident, a detailed report must be submitted to the Supervisor, Department Chair, and Environmental Health & Safety. All Incident Reports must be completed by filling out and submitting the form at the following URL: