Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1997-1998 index

Distributed September 19, 1997

Caldwell named interim president of MGH Institute of Health Professions

Ann W. Caldwell, vice president for development at Brown University, has been named interim president of MGH Institute of Health Professions. She will leave the University for Boston at the end of this month.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Ann W. Caldwell, vice president for development at Brown University, has been named interim president of the MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston, according to an announcement today by Institute trustees. The MGH Institute is a unique and innovative graduate school created in 1977 by the Massachusetts General Hospital to provide graduate education in selected non-physician health professions.

Caldwell has headed Brown's Development Office since July 1991 and was instrumental in planning and leading the most successful fund-raising campaign in the University's history.

"On behalf of the Brown Corporation, Chancellor Artemis Joukowsky, President-elect E. Gordon Gee and Brown's faculty, students, staff and alumni, I would like to extend our warmest congratulations to Ann Caldwell on her appointment at the MGH Institute of Health Professions," said Brown President Vartan Gregorian. "Along with our congratulations, I would like to express our deep gratitude to her for her outstanding contributions and distinguished service to our University, especially for her leadership role in our successful Campaign for the Rising Generation. I am confident that because of her broad expertise, diligence and intelligence, Ann will be able to implement the short- and long-range goals of the MGH Institute. We wish her the best of luck and great success."

The five-year Campaign for the Rising Generation was designed to raise at least $450 million. When it concluded in June 1996, the total raised in gifts and pledges stood at $534 million - 118 percent of its original goal. It was the largest campaign in Brown's history and in the history of Rhode Island.

"I have been privileged to serve Brown University these past six years and to participate in the remarkable outpouring of support the University has received from its alumni and parents, faculty and friends," Caldwell said. "We can all take pride in the resounding success of The Campaign for the Rising Generation, and Brown enters a new era more confident and financially resilient as a result.

"This seems a good time, as the University prepares to welcome a new president, to undertake new professional challenges, and providing leadership for the MGH Institute for Health Professionals is just such an opportunity," Caldwell continued. "I would like to thank President Gregorian, Chancellor Joukowsky, Executive Campaign Chair H. Anthony Ittleson, my colleagues and staff for their hard work and dedication in preparing Brown to meet the challenges of a new era."

######
97-019