Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1997-1998 index

Distributed December 18, 1997

Brown's 19th head coach

Phil Estes named head football coach at Brown University

Phil Estes, who has served as Brown's recruiting coordinator and coach of receivers and running backs, has been named head football coach at Brown University, succeeding Mark Whipple.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Phil Estes, a member of the Brown football coaching staff for the last four years, has been named the head football coach at Brown University in an announcement made today by Brown President E. Gordon Gee and Athletic Director David Roach.

Estes becomes the 19th head coach in Brown history and will occupy the Howard D. Williams '17/Joseph V. Paterno '50 Football Coaching Chair, the first athletic chair established at Brown.

"I'm elated to be given the opportunity to continue the successful football program that Mark Whipple has left," said Estes. "Mark brought this team to a competitive level in four years, but the job isn't finished. My job is to take the Brown football team to the next level - the Ivy League Championship. I'm looking for an extremely smooth transition, and continuing our attack-style offense."

"Phil Estes is the natural choice to guide our football program into the next century," said Roach. "He played a key role in the development of the Brown offense that set numerous school records over the past four years."

Estes has been the Brown recruiting coordinator since arriving in 1994 and took over as Brown's receivers coach last season after three years as running backs coach.

"As recruiting coordinator, Phil was instrumental in bringing many of the talented athletes into our program, who have been the cornerstone of our success," continued Roach. "As a coach, Phil is a tremendous teacher, furthering the development of Sean Morey into the nation's top receiver. We look for Phil to continue the success he has brought to the program and continue to build the Bears into a consistent Ivy League contender."

As receivers coach, Estes helped develop Sean Morey '99 into the nation's premier wide receiver. After two solid seasons, Morey took a quantum leap into being named the Ivy League's 1997 Player of the Year. In 1997, Morey led the nation in receiving (143.4 yards a game) and set single game Brown records for yards (221 vs. Cornell) and TD receptions (three, vs. Cornell and Columbia). He also shattered the Brown and Ivy League record books with 15 touchdown receptions and 1,434 receiving yards, sixth-best in NCAA I-AA history. In addition, Morey established Ivy records for career receiving yards (2,807) and touchdowns (29), and is the first Brown player and first wide receiver in Ivy League history to earn Player of the Year honors.

In three years as running backs coach, Estes helped guide Marquis Jessie '97, Brown's all-time career rusher, to 910 yards in 1996, the second-best rushing performance in Brown history. Jessie's 3,098 career yards was 6th best in Ivy League football history.

Brown's 1997 offense set Ivy League and Brown records for total offense (474.3 yards per game) and Brown records for first downs in a season (233), passing yards (317.9 yards per game), and total offense for a single game (629 yards vs. Yale).

In 1995, Estes played a key role in helping Brown's offense to school records for first downs, scoring, and total yardage. In 1994, Estes was instrumental in helping the Brown running backs gain a whopping 1,741 rushing yards and record 12 rushing touchdowns. Two of his running backs, Paul Fichiera and Marquis Jessie, each gained more than 600 yards as well as earning All-Ivy honors.

Estes arrived at Brown in 1994 after three highly successful years as the offensive coordinator at the University of New Hampshire.

Estes began his collegiate coaching career as offensive line coach at the University of New Hampshire in 1984 after a successful two-year stint at Concord (N.H.) High School. While at New Hampshire, Estes worked with Whipple, who was offensive coordinator for two years, from 1986-1987.

During his tenure at New Hampshire, Estes developed the Wildcats into an offensive power. His offense ranked in the top three in the Yankee Conference in total offense from 1991 to 1993. As offensive coordinator in 1991, Estes was instrumental in leading the Wildcats to their first appearance in the NCAA I-AA Playoffs and the Yankee Conference Championship.

While at New Hampshire, Estes developed several All-Americans, including first team Kodak All-American John Driscoll, who was drafted by the Buffalo Bills, and two-time All-American Barry Bourassa, who led the nation in all-purpose running in 1991.

Born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Estes grew up in Laconia, N.H. An offensive and defensive tackle at Laconia High School, Estes was team captain and Athlete of the Year as a senior. He is a member of the Laconia High School Hall of Fame.

A 1980 graduate of the University of New Hampshire, Estes was a three-year starter and team captain for the Wildcats. He was a first-team All-New England and Yankee Conference selection as a senior and played for the Wildcats' 1976 Yankee Conference Championship team.

He and his wife, Katie, reside in East Greenwich, R.I., with their two daughters, Meaghan and Kelly, and their son, Brett.

Estes replaces Mark Whipple, who resigned Tuesday to become the head football coach at the University of Massachusetts.

######
97-062