97-146 (Carol Wooten)
Brown University News Bureau

The Brown University News Bureau

1997-1998 index

Distributed June 12, 1998

Carol Wooten to retire as head of planning and construction at Brown

Carol Wooten, who has led Brown's physical planning and construction office since 1980, will retire from the University at the end of July.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- After 27 years of service to Brown University, Carol L. Wooten, assistant vice president for Planning and Construction, has announced her retirement from Brown to seek new opportunities in other directions. She will leave the University at the end of July.

"Carol leaves an indelible mark on this University," said Walter Holmes, vice president for administration. "Her dedication to creating the best possible environment in which to live, learn and work has helped make the Brown campus the standard by which other urban institutions are judged. We wish her every success in the future."

Wooten came to Brown in 1966, working for three years as a research assistant with Professor Russell Church in the Department of Psychology. She left Brown to attend M.I.T., earned a Masters of Architecture degree, and returned to Brown in 1973 to take the position of physical planner in the Institutional Research Office. She was promoted to director of planning and construction in 1980 and to assistant vice president in 1991.

During her years at Brown, Wooten was responsible for facilities planning, the University's master plan, major construction projects and real estate. She has directed more than $220 million in new construction and renovation projects. Major new construction projects completed under her direction include the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center, Geo-Chem Building, Watson Center for Information Technology, Orwig Music Library, Salomon Center for Teaching, Pizzitola Sports Center, Caspersen Building, Power Street Parking Structure, Grimshaw-Gudewicz Medical Building, Vartan Gregorian Quadrangle (formerly Thayer Street Quad), and the nearly completed MacMillan Hall. Major renovation projects include the John Hay Library, Rochambeau House, Faunce House, Robinson Hall, Stuart Theatre, Marston Boathouse, Keeney Quad, Littlefield Hall, new Pembroke Dorms, Perkins Hall, Wriston Quad and Andrews Hall.

Wooten has worked closely with the Corporation Committee on Facilities and Design on the physical development of the campus.

In addition to her service to Brown, Wooten has been very active in the Society for College and University Planning (SCUP), where she served on the Board of Directors from 1992 to 1994 and for many years as advancement chair and Rhode Island membership contact for SCUP's North Atlantic regional council.

"I have greatly enjoyed my many years working at Brown," Wooten said. "The challenges, rewards and people in the Brown community, as well as the many architects and contractors I have worked with closely, have been a tremendously important and memorable part of my life, and I look forward to continuing these relationships as I go forward in new directions."

######
97-146