Providence RI 02912

401 863-2476
Fax 863-9595

Distributed August 19, 2003
Contact Mark Nickel

News
Narragansett Smoke Shop
Independent Review Committee questions elected officials, State Police

The Independent Review Committee will resume its public hearings at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, in Room 120 of List Art Center, 64 College St. on the Brown campus.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — During its first full day of meetings (Tuesday, August 19), the Independent Review Committee established by R.I. Gov. Donald L. Carcieri to review the incident at the Narragansett Smoke Shop watched video coverage of the incident, then interviewed individuals involved in the case.

Appearing before the committee were Gov. Carcieri; Col. Stephen Pare, superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police; Maj. John Leyden, State Police field operations officer; Attorney General Patrick Lynch; and Det. David Thomas of the Rhode Island Division of Taxation. After the session, the committee issued the following statement:

“Having reviewed existing documents, transcripts and other materials relevant to the Smoke Shop incident, we were pleased to begin interviewing persons who were involved in the events.

“We appreciate the patience and attentiveness given by today’s speakers to our questions about the decision-making processes that occurred before and during the incident; about the training state troopers receive in order to carry out their responsibilities; and about the advice and counsel sought from federal agencies and other resources. The speakers’ candor will help this committee as it moves toward producing a report that we hope will contribute to a greater understanding of the issues and events, and ultimately to improved relations between the tribe and the state.”

Wednesday sessions

The committee will continue its work tomorrow (Wednesday, August 20) in the auditorium of List Art Center (Room 120), 64 College St. The committee’s public session will begin at 10 a.m. Presenters scheduled to appear are:

• 10 a.m. – R.I. State Police Capt. Leo Messier
  • 10:45 a.m. – R.I. State Police Capt. Steven O’Donnell
  • Other presenters may be scheduled as available

######

News Service Home  |  Top of File  |  e-Subscribe  |  Brown Home Page