Providence RI 02912

401 863-2476
Fax 863-9595

Distributed October 27, 2004
Contact Mary Jo Curtis

News
November 1–30, 2004
Sarah Doyle Gallery exhibits Jessica E. Ritter’s “Sugar Coated”

The Sarah Doyle Women’s Center will host a new exhibition of the work of artist Jessica E. Ritter, titled “Sugar Coated,” in its gallery at 26 Benevolent St., beginning Nov. 1 and continuing through Nov. 30, 2004. There will be an artist’s reception Thursday, Nov. 4, at 6 p.m. Both the exhibit and reception are free and open to the public.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Artist Jessica E. Ritter suspects nothing is as it appears to be. She explores that concept in her new exhibition, “Sugar Coated,” in the gallery at the Sarah Doyle Women’s Center Nov. 1–30, 2004.

Sugar Coated
Sweet Emotion (detail), 2004; embroidery and gouache on pillowcase. Image courtesy of the artist.

Ritter, a recent graduate of Rhode Island School of Design, will exhibit her latest paintings, along with handmade and embroidered domestic items. The latter reflect her interest in images of domestic women and home decorating themes – and how they “tend to take over a house.”

“How do you really know if something is real or not?” says Ritter. “It looks real, maybe even feels or smells real, but there is something a little off. You can’t quite put your finger on it, but your gut tells you to question its validity.

“Lately I’ve been ultrasensitive to the idea that nothing is at it appears on the surface,” she adds. “We cover the good, the bad and the ugly with the beautiful. Everything is coated with beauty and decoration.”

Ritter received a B.F.A. from the Massachusetts College of Art and an M.F.A. in printmaking from R.I.S.D. in 2003. Her work has been exhibited at the Copley Society of Art in Boston, at R.I.S.D. and at Massachusetts College of Art. She lives in Providence.

An artist’s reception is set for Thursday, Nov. 4, 2004, at 6 p.m. at the center. The reception and exhibit are free and open to the public. The Sarah Doyle Women’s Center, 26 Benevolent St., is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call (401) 863-1781.

######

News Service Home  |  Top of File  |  e-Subscribe  |  Brown Home Page