Providence RI 02912

401 863-2476
Fax 863-9595

Distributed April 11, 2005
Contact Mark Nickel

News
Media advisory: Friday, April 22
Brown and Public Health Officials To Test Medical Emergency System

On Friday, April 22, 2005, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Brown University, together with state and city health officials, will conduct an exercise to test the community’s ability to provide emergency medical information, screenings and treatment to large numbers of people. The exercise will take place inside the Pizzitola Memorial Sports Center at the athletic complex, Hope Street at Lloyd Avenue.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — On Friday, April 22, 2005, members of the Brown University campus community, together with city and state health officials, will conduct an exercise to test the community’s ability to deliver medical information and treatment quickly to large numbers of people. Information gained from the exercise will allow public health officials refine plans for responding to a statewide or national biological threat or disease outbreak.

The scenario involves the simulated exposure of many people to an airborne pathogen, creating the need to provide medical information, screenings and treatment. Hundreds of Brown students and staff will role-play individuals seeking treatment at an emergency walk-in clinic; a few of the University’s East Side neighbors may also join the exercise as volunteers.

The clinic will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Pizzitola Memorial Sports Center in the University’s Erickson Athletic Complex, Hope Street at Lloyd Avenue.

Who
Faculty and staff from Brown Medical School, Brown’s Department of Public Safety, Brown’s Office of Environmental Health and Safety, and other University offices; the R.I. Disaster Medical Assistance Team; the Providence Emergency Management Agency; consultants from the R.I. Department of Health; faculty from the University of Rhode Island; and others

What
An exercise to test plans for large-scale response to a public health emergency

Where
Pizzitola Memorial Sports Center, Erickson Athletic Complex, Hope Street at Lloyd Avenue

When
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, April 22, 2005

######

News Service Home  |  Top of File  |  e-Subscribe  |  Brown Home Page