Meeting of the Brown Corporation
Corporation Accepts Gifts, Approves Appointments
Funding from Brown graduates Artemis A.W. Joukowsky and Martha Sharp Joukowsky was accepted by the Corporation at its meeting today, allowing the University to immediately establish the Joukowsky Family Professorship in Archaeology within The Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World. The Corporation also accepted a number of significant anonymous gifts to a wide range of disciplines – from history to the creative arts – and made new staff appointments.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The Corporation of Brown
University today formally established the Joukowsky Family Professorship in
Archaeology, effective immediately. This professorship was generously funded by
Artemis A.W. Joukowsky ’55 LHD ’85 P’87 and Martha Sharp
Joukowsky ’58 LLD ’85 P’87. The chairholder will have an
appointment in the Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, established
in October 2004 by a gift from the Joukowsky family.
A number of gifts to the University were accepted by the
- From an emeritus trustee and parent, a gift of $5 million, $4 million of
which will endow and establish a professorship in the Department of History;
with $500,000 for the Brown Annual Fund and $500,000 for the Brown University
- From the Walter Annenberg Foundation, a gift of $3 million for the Annenberg
Institute to promote innovation and progress in small schools and to develop
leadership to sustain school reform.
- From a trustee and parent, a gift of $2,515,000 for the following purposes:
$1million for the Nelson Fitness Center; $750,000 for financial aid; $750,000
for the Brown Annual Fund; $10,000 for the Brown University Sports Foundation;
and $5,000 for the Watson Institute.
- From an alumnus and parent, a gift of $2.5 million, $2.2 million of which
will create an endowed flexible research fund in environmental sciences and
environmental studies, and $300,000 for the Brown Annual Fund.
- From parents, a gift of $2 million for the Creative Arts Building.
- From an emeritus trustee and parent, a gift of $1.6 million to be added to
an existing fund to endow and create a professorship in contemporary African
studies and/or environmental studies.
- From an alumnus and parent, a gift of $1.1 million, of which $1 million will
be added to an existing fund to endow and create an assistant professorship of
history, with the remaining $100,000 earmarked for the current-use of the
Department of History.
- From parents, a gift of $1 million to fund renovations at the Thomas J.
Watson Sr. Center for Information Technology for the Department of Computer
- From an alumnus, a gift of $1 million for the following purposes: $375,000
for an endowment for Commerce, Organizations and Entrepreneurship; $250,000 for
the Brown Annual Fund; $25,000 for current-use program support.
Appointments and Promotions
The Corporation approved the appointment of Stephen M. Maiorisi
as vice president for facilities management, effectively immediately. Maiorisi
has served as both acting vice president and director of design and construction
since last summer, and has worked at Brown since 1996.
Media Relations Home | Top of File | e-Subscribe | Brown Home Page