Skip over navigation
Sidebar stuff

Academic Regulations

Advanced Standing

Freshmen who have taken college courses at an accredited institution prior to matriculation at Brown may be considered for some advanced standing. Further, freshmen who have received certification under various foreign educational systems may also be considered for some advanced standing. Questions concerning course credit and advanced standing should be addressed through the Office of the Dean of the College.

By the end of their fifth semester, students must declare to the Registrar's Office whether or not they wish to use their A.P. and/or foreign study credit for acceleration. To use credit for acceleration, students may request one semester of Advanced Standing (and tuition credit) for 3-6 course credits or two semesters of Advanced Standing (and tuition credit) for 7-10 course credits. Students not requesting Advanced Standing (and tuition credit) from the Registrar by this deadline may not do so subsequently, except through petitioning the Committee on Academic Standing.

Grading System

At the end of each semester final grades are given in semester courses.

Year Courses: A tentative grade is given at the end of the first semester in year courses; at the end of the second semester, examinations in such courses cover the work of the two semesters; and a final grade for both is assigned at that time.

In most courses a student may, in consultation with the advisor, elect to be graded on a basis of either Satisfactory/No Credit or A,B,C/No Credit. A student must, for every such course taken, indicate by the end of the fourth week of the semester which basis for grading is elected. If a student fails to specify a grade option for such courses, he or she will be enrolled in the course to be graded on the ABC/No Credit basis.

Any student regularly enrolled in a course, no matter whether for A,B,C/No Credit or for Satisfactory/No Credit, may request from the instructor a more detailed written evaluation of his or her work (see "Course Performance Reports" below). Such supplemental evaluations are intended primarily for the information of the student and do not replace departmental evaluations.

No Credit is given when courses are not satisfactorily completed. Neither the notation No Credit nor the description of the course in which it is given are entered on the external transcript.

1. At the initiative of the instructor, courses may be designated to be graded on a Satisfactory/No Credit basis for all students enrolled. The designation of a course by an instructor to be graded Satisfactory/No Credit only must be announced no later than the first day of classes and entails the responsibility for providing Course Performance Report forms to all students who request them. An asterisk shall accompany the listing on the transcript of the grade of `S' for any successfully completed course that has been designated by the instructor to be graded on the basis of S/NC only, with an appropriate explanation of the symbol provided.

2. In exceptional circumstances and with the instructor's consent, a course may be left incomplete (except for a regularly scheduled final examination--see paragraph 3 below). In such cases, a grade of 'INC' will be assigned provided that the student has filed a request for extension of time to complete the work of the course and the instructor has consented to such a request (the instructor can enter both the Incomplete grade and the intended date by which it is expected to be completed via Bannerweb). Unless an earlier date is specified by the instructor, grades of 'INC' must be made up as follows: for Semester I, by mid-semester of Semester II; for Semester II, by the first day of the following semester. Extensions beyond these dates for any period of time up to but no more than one year from the end of the semester in which the course left incomplete was taken may be granted by the instructor who will indicate this in writing to the Registrar.

A course not completed by the designated time will be assigned a grade of NC unless the instructor indicates that sufficient work has been completed to justify course credit by submitting, as appropriate, a grade change from INC to A, B, C, or S. A grade of NC assigned in accordance with the procedures may be changed subsequently, but no later than one calendar year after the end of the semester in which the course was taken.

Note: For Undergraduate students, while the faculty rules above that govern the deadlines for which an incomplete must be completed remain intact, it is important to note that for academic standing purposes the deadlines by which to have a positive effect on one’s academic standing are: February 1st for fall courses and July 1st for spring courses. For further information please consult with the Office of the Dean of the College.

3. If a student is absent from a regularly scheduled final examination for a course, the instructor will assign a grade of ABS. If the absence from the examination is excused by the dean, the student will be permitted to take a special examination. The special examination will be administered by the Registrar in accordance with the provisions in the Faculty Rules and Regulations for such examinations, unless other arrangements are agreed to by the instructor and the student, and communicated to the Registrar. If the absence from the final examination is not excused by the dean, the student will receive no credit for the course.

(Please note: Students who are unable to take a final examination due to religious observance may consult the Registrar's Office about procedures for rescheduling a final exam. These arrangements must be completed by mid-semester.)

4. A grade of INCABS will be assigned if appropriate and will be resolved in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs 2 and 3 above.

5. Grade Requirements for Advanced Degrees. A minimum grade of either Satisfactory or C in a 1000 or 2000 level course carries credit toward all advanced degrees. Individual departments may, subject to the approval of the Graduate Council, set higher grade requirements.

Advanced degree candidates may be required to register in courses primarily for undergraduates (numbered 1-999); these courses do not carry advanced degree credit. On occasion, however, and with approval of the student's department and the dean, a student may register for such a course with extra work for advanced degree credit. This course then has the same standing as a 1000 level course and an E (extra work) is noted on the transcript. This provision for extra work does not apply to courses of the level of 1-999 taken for graduate credit by students in the master of medical science or Medical School programs.

Grade Appeals Process

Grade Appeals Process

Grade Point Average Statement

In 1969–70, the grading system of the University was changed so as to provide that a students may choose, for each course, to be graded on the basis of one of two options: A,B,C/No Credit or Satisfactory/No Credit*. Accordingly, at that time, the University discontinued the compilation of grade point averages and class standings. The practice of naming students to a Dean’s List was also eliminated.

*Beginning Semester I, 1974–75, an asterisk following a grade of S denotes that the choice of grade option for that course was not left up to the student but was restricted to S/NC by the instructor.

Course Performance Reports

Students who elect to take a course on a Satisfactory/No Credit basis may request that the instructor complete a Course Performance Report form . (Note: This form is online to Undergraduate students via Advising SideKick (ASK) module delivered by the Office of the Dean of the College). The instructor may decline to submit such a form if it is believed he or she has inadequate information to do so. As a general rule, therefore, the request for the Course Performance Report should be made of the instructor with advance notice. Particular consideration should be given to requests from students for whom the course is part of their concentration program. Copies of Course Performance Reports are made available to: (1) the student, (2) the dean's office, and (3) the student's concentration advisor. While not part of the official record, Course Performance Reports may be sent out from the University at the student's request as part of an official transcript request as long as the student provides such copies to the Office of the Registrar when making the initial transcript request.

Additional Semesters

Except for students enrolled in the five year combined A.B.-Sc.B. program or the Brown-RISD dual degree program, undergraduates must obtain special permission from a dean for a ninth semester. For a tenth semester the student must petition the Committee on Academic Standing.