Frequently Asked Questions
Certificate I: Frequently Asked Questions 2012-13
- Can I complete the Certificate program next year?
You must complete all module components of the Certificate I program in a single academic year. The only components of Certificate I that may be completed in the subsequent year are the Teaching Observation (if you cannot arrange an opportunity to teach during the academic year); and a make-up for workshop #5. See the website for information about absences & make-up procedures.
- I am not teaching this semester and I need to schedule my Teaching Observation. What should I do?
Teaching Observations are most effective when conducted in an authentic teaching situation. We strongly recommend that you attempt to arrange for a real teaching situation to maximally benefit from this program. In previous years students have arranged to give a guest lecture in courses (we recommend you request this during the fall semester), lead a discussion or lab section, or arrange to teach during a journal club or other departmental venue.
If you will be teaching during the next academic year, you can complete all of your other requirements for Cert I, and arrange for your Teaching Observation next year.
- I only found out about the Cert I program after it already started. Can I still sign up?
All new participants must sign up by the beginning of the academic year. If the program has already begun or is closed to new registrations, you can be placed on the wait list by filling out the online registration waitlist form.
- My department conducts micro-teaching sessions as part of a departmental TA training. Do I still have to participate in the micro-teaching session in Workshop 5?
Some departments conduct micro-teaching sessions as part of their departmental TA training or professional development programs. These sessions will NOT count toward the Cert I requirements because the Workshop 5 micro-teaching sessions have different learning goals and contexts.
- What is the absence policy?
Under extenuating circumstances only one lecture and only one workshop may be missed provided they are not from the same module. The missed lecture or workshop must be made up to receive the certificate.
- I missed a lecture, how do I make up it up?
Because each follow-up workshop builds upon themes raised in the Module lecture, you must view the lecture before attending the workshop. You cannot receive credit for a workshop without attending or making up the lecture beforehand. After viewing the lecture, send a brief lecture reflection to email@example.com (subject heading: CERT. I LECTURE MAKE-UP) BEFORE the Module workshop. No lecture-makeup will be accepted after the Module’s workshop.
- I missed a workshop, how do I make it up? If you miss a workshop (#1 - #4), you must send a brief lecture reflection to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject heading: CERT. I WORKSHOP MAKE-UP) within 1 week of the workshop. If the workshop you miss is #5, you may make it up by attending the workshop in the following academic year.
- What is a lecture reflection?
A lecture reflection is a brief response to the following prompts: What in this lecture was most useful for developing your own teaching practice? What did you find most surprising or confusing? The lecture reflection gives you an opportunity to think about some of the key ideas discussed in lecture. If you are absent from either a lecture or a workshop, send a lecture reflection to email@example.com. Only a few sentences to a paragraph are necessary for a complete lecture reflection.
- I missed the workshop, what do I do about the assignment?
Assignments are submitted online through Canvas. All assignments must be completed to earn a program Certificate; there are no make-ups for missed assignments. Even if you have missed a workshop or a lecture, the module assignment must be turned in online through Canvas. All module components, including the assignment, must be received within one week of the workshop. No credit can be applied after this time.
- I missed two workshops but no lecture (or I missed two lectures but no workshop), can I still complete the Certificate Program?
Unfortunately NO. You can miss a single workshop and a single lecture, but not two from either category. You can rejoin the program next year but will have to start again from the beginning.