Welcome to the Brown University Intramural Sports website
The mission of the Brown University Intramural Sports program is to provide students, faculty and staff with the opportunity to participate in a variety of competitive recreational sports in a safe environment; to facilitate the opportunity for enjoyable experiences and healthy living; to create opportunities for the growth and development of all participants with a focus on student development; to contribute to and help foster an environment conducive to academic enrichment; and to meet the diverse needs of the Brown and Rhode Island School of Design communities.
The program is committed to offering safe, quality programs, facilities and services to the Brown University community.The Brown University Intramural Sports program offers team, individual and special event activities to over 4,100 participants in the Brown community. All of our programs are designed to maximize participation and accommodate a wide range of interests and abilities. These programs are open to all Brown & RISD students, faculty and staff.
The Intramural Sports department is always open to suggestions and comments. Please direct all comments and queries to the Intramural Sports Coordinator, Brian Beam.
Outdoor games will be cancelled and rescheduled for lightning. Games cannot be played within 30 minutes of last seen lightning bolt.
- Players must be on the roster and bring their valid Brown or RISD Card to every game in order to be able to participate.
- Attendance at the Captains' Meetings are mandatory. Forfeit fees will be at risk.
- Eligibility: Full- and Part-time graduate and undergraduate students as well as faculty and staff are eligible to participate in all tournaments and regular season play with the following exceptions.
- Varsity Athletes: are ineligible to participate in an equivalent sport and must have been removed from that sport's roster for 365 days to become eligible. (basketball, football, ice hockey, soccer, softball, volleyball).
- Club Sport Participants: have restricted participation within their equivalent sport.
- Ice Hockey: Are limited to four club players per Intramural Team and are ineligble to play in the Low Division.
- Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, and Volleyball: Are limited to two club players (regardless of gender) per Intramural team and are ineligble to play in the Low Division.
- Tennis: Ineligible to play Intramural Tennis.
- Rosters: Team members must be listed on the team roster. Participants may only play on one team per divsion, and participants may NOT play in both the High and Low Division. No more than 3 teammates from Team A can be on Team B. Teams found using illegal players in a contest will automatically earn them a loss regardless of score. Multiple offenses will disqualify teams from playoffs.
- Roster Additions: MUST be done via imleagues.com and must be submitted by noon the BUSINESS DAY of the contest, except for weekend games which require all roster additions be submitted by noon on Friday
- Seasons: All roster additions must take place during the regular season. All team rosters are frozen after the last regular season game.
- Tournaments: Roster additions for tournaments must be made before your first scheduled game.
- You must wear athletic shoes. NO METAL CLEATS! NO SANDALS! NO BARE FEET!
- GAME TIME IS FORFEIT TIME! Games will start promptly at their scheduled start time. If you don't have enough players to field a team at game time; you will be given a forfeit. Please show up 15 minutes early to your game to check-in.
- Forfeiting too many times will result in the disqualification of your team from playoffs. Please check the specific sport for the alllowed number of forfeits per season. If you have to miss a scheduled game, the preferred method is to default. This means you have informed us before the deadline of 3pm (through e-mail or imleagues to the Intramural Sports Coordinator) the day of the contest and informed us of your inability to attend your scheduled game. You will still receive a loss for a default, but the default will not negatively affect your playoff eleigibity apart from the loss affecting your standings.
- Captains, or a team rep, must attend the captains meeting (if applicable) at the beginning of each season. This person(s) must sign-in to verify their attendance. Failure to attend will result in the loss of your forfeit fee.
- After one forfeit (or not attending the captains meeting) teams lose their forfeit fee for season sports. After forfeiting two (2) times of cancelling three (3) times, teams are ineligible to make the playoffs. Teams must average a sportsmanship rating of 3.0 or better in the regular season to be eligible for playoffs and maintain at least a 3 rating in each playoff game to continue to the next round.
- No team is guaranteed entry into playoffs. Teams may be eliminated based on winning percentage.
NOTE: The Intramural Department reserves the right, from time to time and without notice, to change the above terms.