Nelson Fitness Center
Located at 235 Hope Street, the Nelson Fitness Center opened in May 2012 and features a 10,000 square foot multi-purpose fitness loft with 85 exercise machines for students, faculty, and staff. The facility also features a varsity strength and conditioning center, 3 exercise studios (including a dedicated spinning room), offices for coaches and administrative staff, varsity locker rooms for the Men's and Women's Swimming, Diving, and Water Polo teams, dedicated locker rooms for Male and Female faculty, general use locker rooms for Male and Female students and staff, and a social space in the lobby that includes a cafe.
Click here for some fun facts about the new facilities!
Please check the Calendar.
**Please note that hours are always subject to change.
|Fall and Spring Semester
|Monday through Friday
||5:30am - midnight
|Saturday & Sunday
||7:00am - 9:00pm
|Summer Hours (Memorial Day - Labor Day)
||6:00am - 8:00pm
|Saturday & Sunday
||8:00am - 6:00pm
|New Year's Day
|Adjusted Hours 8am-8pm
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
|Fall Weekend Day (October 8th)
||Day After Thanksgiving
*Please add this calendar to your own Google calendars by clicking on the Add Calendar button below
Fitness Center Information
Membership - Adults
- You must have a membership along with a valid Brown ID to use the facility.
- Each member (including children and toddlers) must have an individual valid Brown ID. (Can be picked up at the Brown Card Office- J. Walter Wilson Building at 69 Brown Street)
- To purchase a membership and Brown ID,please click here here
Membership - Minors
- Youth must be 12 years of age or older to use the Fitness Center/Aquatics Center without direct Parent /Guardian supervision.
Visiting the Facility
- Guest one-day passes may be purchased at a cost of $10 per visit. You can purchase the guest pass via credit or check card through the website only. Click here to purchase a guest pass. No cash or checks will be taken at the fitness center.
- Guest tours of the facility are available Monday-Friday 4:30pm-7:30pm and Saturday-Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm.
- To meet with Varsity Coaching Staff, please schedule a time prior to visiting the Brown fitness center.
- Members must supply their own towels.
- Lost and Found items can be found at the Front Desk.
- Only Faculty and Staff members are allowed to use the Faculty/Staff locker room. If you are a Faculty or Staff member and would like to use this locker room, please do not hesitate to ask Welcome Center Staff for the code.
- Clean machines after use with the provided towelette wipe.
- Return weights to their proper location after use. Fitness Center Staff are available to help you.
- If you need assistance with machines, do not hesitate to ask Fitness Center Staff.
- Wear appropriate shoes, shirts and shorts.
Physical Education Classes
- To attend PE Classes, a membership to the facility is required, in addition to the PE Pass.
- All members attending PE Classes must show their current PE Pass to Welcome Center Staff.
- When attending PE Classes, we ask that members do not enter the Studio until the instructor arrives.
- To use the Squash/Tennis Courts, we ask that you reserve a court online: here for squash and here for tennis.
- The David J. Zucconi Varsity Strength & Conditionar Center is available only to Brown University Varsity Athletes.
Fitness Loft Policies
- Closed-toe, non-marking athletic shoe must be worn at all times
- Appropriate athletic clothing - shirt, shorts, sweats (no jeans or pants with buttons/hardware permitted). Shirt must be worn at all times, covering full chest & back.
- All personal items should be kept in locker rooms on pool level. Staff is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- No food or drink except water in closed container permitted in fitness areas
- Must be at least 17 years of age to be in free weight area
- Weight lifting chalk is not permitted
- Re-rack weights/plates and accessories to designated area
- Return dumbbells to designated storage rack
- Slamming or dropping of free weights is prohibited
- Do not remove any equipment from designated areas - all equipment must stay in fitness loft
- Clean equipment after use
- Weight collars, pins, & clips (provided) must be used with all bars in free weight area
- Only Brown Athletics & Physical Education employed Personal Trainers are permitted to train in athletic facilities
- Profanity, excessively loud or offensive language is not tolerated