Giddings House, located on Hope Street, is the home of the Anthropology Department. Built in 1908, it is named for J. Louis Giddings, a respected Arctic archaeologist, who taught at Brown from 1956 to 1964 and was a Director of the Haffenreffer Museum. The building has faculty and teaching assistant offices, classrooms, a small library, and other facilities. The Giddings House garden serves as an unofficial outdoor classroom and social space; it is also where the Department’s diploma ceremony is held at commencement. Archaeology facilities include the Metcalf Archaeology Laboratory, used for teaching and research, and the Carriage House Archaeology Laboratory, which provides temporary work and storage space for student projects.
Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology
The Haffenreffer Museum and its collections in Bristol, RI, are temporarily closed. There will be no museum-based courses and internships in 2008-2009. The Museum’s Manning Hall Gallery exhibition space located on the College Green of the Brown campus is open and students are encouraged to visit. For further information, call x3-2065.
Manning Hall, home of the Haffenreffer Museum