- Bergamino, with the help of a story about Primas and the Abbot of Cluny, tellingly chides Can Grande della Scala for a sudden fit of parsimony (I.7).
- Rinaldo d'Asti is robbed, turns up at Castel Guiglielmo, and is provided with hospitality by a widow. Then, having recovered his belongings, he returns home safe and sound (II.2).
- Masetto of Lamporecchio pretends to be dumb and becomes a gardener at a convent, where all the nuns vie with one another to take him off to bed with them (III.1).
- Guillaume de Roussillon causes his wife to eat the heart of her lover, Guillaume de Cabestanh, whom he has secretly murdered. When she finds out, she kills herself by leaping from a lofty casement to the ground below and is subsequently buried with the man she loved (IV.9).
- Ricciardo Manardi is discovered by Messer Lizio da Valbona with his daughter, whom he marries, and remains on good terms with her father (V.4).
- Madonna Filippa is discovered by her husband with a lover and called before the magistrate, but by a prompt and ingenious answer she secures her acquittal and causes the statue to be amended (VI.7).
- Peronella hides her lover in a tub when her husband returns home unexpectedly. Her husband has sold the tub, but she tells him that she herself has already sold it to a man who is inspecting it from the inside to see whether it is sound. Leaping forth from the tub, the man gets the husband to scrape it out and carry it back to his house for him (VII.2).
- Three young men pull down the breeches of a judge from the Marches while he is administering the law on the Florentine bench (VIII.5).
- Egged on by Bruno, Buffalmacco and Nello, Master Simone persuades Calandrino that he is pregnant. Calandrino then supplies the three men with capons and money for obtaining a certain medicine, and recovers from his pregnancy without giving birth (IX.3).
- Mithridanes is filled with envy over Nathan's reputation for courtesy and sets out to murder him. He comes across Nathan by accident but fails to recognize him, and after learning from Nathan's own lips the best way to carry out his intentions, he finds Nathan in a wood, as arranged. When he realizes who it is, he is filled with shame, and thenceforth becomes Nathan's friend (X.3).
Filostrato Related Pages