- Indoor temperature settings in all spaces during occupied periods will be:
- heated to a target temperature of 70° F during the winter;
- cooled to a target temperature of 76° F in centrally air conditioned spaces during the summer; and
- spaces such as research facilities requiring critical temperature
settings will be more tightly controlled.
- These will be set by Facilities Management in centrally controlled
systems. Occupants who control their own thermostats are required
to adhere to these settings.
- We recognize that temperatures will fluctuate within the building
around these set points and every effort will be made to stay
within 2° F of this range.
- Supplemental electric heaters shall only be issued in the case
of long-term system malfunctions and as authorized and provided
by Facilities Management.
- No other use of electric heaters is allowed and unauthorized
heaters will be removed.
- Report observations of excessive energy use and concerns to
Management Service Response online or at 863-7800.
- Individuals are expected to turn off lights when exiting rooms
that are no longer occupied and to turn off office equipment (including
monitors, task lights and personal computers, where possible)
when leaving your workspace for more than 20 minutes and at the
end of the day.
- Turn yours off when not in use and be sure to power down your
whole system when you are away, especially at night and on weekends.
- Set your computer power management so that your computer monitor
turns off and your CPU enters hibernate or standby mode when you
leave your desk for extended periods of time.
- Enable power management features on laser printers and copiers
and power them down whenever possible, particularly on evenings
- Brown CIS
provides information on computer power management settings and
how to optimize energy management on your computer equipment.
- Please email CIS@brown.edu if you have additional questions
or Help@brown.edu if you need assistance.
Additional Energy Tips