Traditional recyclables (paper, cardboard, plastics, bottles, and cans) are collected differently depending on whether you are faculty, staff, on-campus, or off-campus student. Details, Frequently Asked Questions, and a poster for your common areas can be found at the Brown is Green (BiG) recycling pages.
Other items recycled or diverted from the waste stream include:
- Printer Cartridges: Return directly to HP in the provided bag, take to the Brown Computer Store, or request an empty box from Office Max
- Bulbs (including CFLs): Give them to your building custodian.
- Hazardous Waste: Call Environment Health & Safety (3-3353)
- Surplus Property: Property (computers, furniture, etc.) owned by Brown must follow Disposition of Surplus Property instructions are required by Purchasing.
- Techno-Trash: The John D. Rockefeller Library ("The Rock") set up their own system and generously share a how-to at their Wiki page. This material is also included in our eWaste contract for Brown-owned equipment (follow the Surplus instructions).
- Clothing & small household items: Clothing drives and swaps are held throughout the academic year by various student groups. Announcements are made through Morning Mail. During move out, clothing and household items are collected and donated through a local charitable organization.
- Batteries: Drop boxes are located at: 115 Waterman Street (CIT 101), Brown Office Building (4th floor), UEL Community Room, and the OMAC Main Entrance
- Food-related Waste: See the Dining Services' Sustainability programs page for details.