Rhode Island Hall was built in 1840. At the Corporation meeting on September 8, 1836, a committee was appointed to "devise means for erecting a building for lecture rooms and rooms for the reception of geological and physiological specimens." Almost all the funds for the building came from Rhode Islanders and the name "Rhode Island Hall" was chosen for the new classroom building. It was opened for public inspection on September 3, 1840. This entry appears in Encyclopedia Brunoniana by Martha Mitchell, copyright ©1993 by the Brown University Library.
Rhode Island Hall is the permanent home of the Artemis A.W. and Martha Sharp Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World. As one of the multidisciplinary efforts created by the Initiatives for Academic Enrichment, the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World gathers resources and creates opportunities for both formal and informal exchanges of intellectual ideas relating to the Ancient World.
The comprehensive interior renovation of Rhode Island Hall in 2009/2010 brought the building up to today’s standards for fire safety and accessibility and recaptures much of the original character of the building. The objective was to restore and enhance this historic building while creating a state of the art environment for the Joukowsky Institute.
This website was created in cooperation with a Brown University Sustainable Design course and visualizes the Rhode Island Hall Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) scorecard. Additional detail about each category can be found by clicking on the category link in the recipe card at the top of each page. Tours of the building can be arranged by contacting the Project Manager.
Facilities Project Manager: John Cooke