Professional Development Opportunities for K-12 Teachers
Opportunity for Grade 6 Social Studies Teachers in Providence Public Schools
Think Like an Archaeologist
A partnership program between Brown University’s Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology, and the RISD Museum at the Rhode Island School of Design
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 and Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Professional Development Program Description:
This Professional Development workshop introduces 6th grade Social Studies teachers to Think Like an Archaeologist, a four classroom session program that includes a museum visit to the RISD Museum at the Rhode Island School of Design and Brown University’s Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology. Think Like an Archaeologist is designed to complement the existing Social Studies curriculum by offering students the opportunity to engage with the whole process of archaeology, from choosing an excavation site and learning to dig, to analyzing and caring for artifacts.
Participants in this workshop will learn to conduct all four classroom sessions and be offered suggestions on integrating these sessions into the existing Social Studies curriculum. The training will provide detailed scripts for each session, as well as PowerPoint slideshows, handouts, and instructions on how to gather or construct materials for hands-on exercises.
Teachers who complete this workshop will gain a hands-on familiarity with the sessions, which will enable them to take a more active role in future classroom visits by museum educators and doctoral students from Brown University and the RISD Museum. Teachers will also be fully equipped to conduct sessions independently.
Think Like an Archaeologist Program Objectives:
- Enhance social studies curriculum by helping students to think about how people learn about the past
- Develop critical thinking skills, especially emphasizing how to examine historical “facts”
- Encourage students to practice collaborative problem solving, group work, and public speaking skills
- Introduce students to key archaeological concepts, such as stratigraphy, mapping, and dating
- Help students learn to synthesize different sources of information on different scales
Sign up through Providence Public Schools.