machado house

french house machado events members contact

 

Machado House at 87 Prospect Street was formerly the Ellen Dexter Sharpe House, a two-and-one-half story brick Elizabethan Revival house designed by Parker, Thomas and Rice, and built as the Sharpe family home in 1912. The house, property of the Rhode Island School of Design after Miss Sharpe’s death in 1953, was purchased by Brown in 1955 and used as a small dormitory for women students. An extension at the rear of the building was designed by Steven L. Lerner and added in 1975. At a ceremony on November 10, 1989 the building was formally renamed Antonio Machado House in honor of the Spanish poet. A bust of Machado by sculptor Pablo Serrano acquired by the University in 1967 was moved from the Annmary Brown Memorial to the garden of the house.

© brown university 2010