Being a BOLT leader is a full year commitment, which starts in February and concludes at the end of the following fall semeseter.
Leaders provide mentoring and facilitate small group gatherings with their group on a regular basis and support BOLT's Fall Program, which is a calendar of events that promote community and skill development.
Leaders often continue their support for the program through volunteer opportunities, weekly steering committee meetings (Mondays at 5:30) and through serving as a Mentor (instructor) or Manager for the program.
Training Dates Spring 2015 (input these into your calendar)
August and Fall Semester 2015
August Training Review and Trip Prep is required - no exceptions.
- Aug 26 (Wed) 8:30am-5pm: Move back in! - or earlier
We have work to do and skills to dust off. Let's get ready for our BOLTers.
Please plan your travel accordingly to ensure that you are back in time to participate fully.
For on-campus housing, key pick-up at Res Life is during regular business hours: 8:30-5pm.
-- For leaders traveling long distances, such as from the West coast or outside the US, please request a Tuesday arrival to assist with jet lag and flight delay issues. We can submit a special request for housing. --
- Aug 26 (Wed): Return to Campus and Move In Day. *
*If you live on-campus and need an extra day due to flight schedules due to religious observances or for long distrance travel such as CA to RI or international travel, please let the summer managers know. They can submit an earlier arrival date to accomodate your travel and travel recovery needs based on our agreement with Res Life.
- Aug 27 (Thur): 12-5pm*: Training Review and Trip Prep, BERT 015 (*helping hands needed in the evenings.)
- Sep 5 (Sat) New Transfer and RUE students orientation and meal plan begins with breakfast.
- Sep 8 (Tues) Returning students - academic year meal plan starts at breakfast.
- Sep 8 (Tue) 7-10pm: Fall Trip Debrief for Leaders, Petteruti
- Sep 12 (Sat) 11-1: BOLT Wars. Pembroke Field
- Sep 14th (Mon-Sat) BOLT group gatherings and check in.
- Sep 19 (Sat) 9:30am-3:30pm: Steering Committee Launch & Retreat. India Point Park (rain site: Pembroke Field House) *all leaders/mentors invited and encouraged.
- Week of Sep 20th Leaders schedule 1:1 check-ins with their BOLTers
- Sep 21 (Mon) 7:30-9:30pm: Leader Planning Meeting for Family Group Gatherings and LW 1: Effective Communication Workshops, BERT 015
- Sep 24 (Thurs) from 8pm-9pm: Slide Show and Photo Contest. Salomon 001.
- Sep 29 (Mon) 5:30-7pm Weekly Steering Committee Meetings Begin - Memorial Room
- October 1 (Thurs) 7:30-9:30pm Leadership Workshop 1: Effective Communication Skills. Smitty B 106 + lobby, G01, G12, G13, G18
- Mid October - Family Group Gatherings/Events
- Mid to late October - Leaders schedule 1:1 check-ins with their BOLTers
- Oct 19 (Mon) 7:30-9:30pm: Leader Planning Meeting for Family Group Gatherings and LW 2: Leadership Styles and Group Facilitation Workshops, BERT 015
- Nov 5 (Thurs) 7:30-9:30 pm Leadership Workshop 2: Leadership Styles and Group Facilitation
- Nov 14 (Sat) from 5pm-9pm: Thanksgiving Pot Luck Celebration and Charity Event. All BOLT, all BOLTer years and friends invited. Location: Central Congregational Church (296 Angell Street, come in side door by the office sign)
- Week of Dec 1st - BOLT Group's plan end of semester dinners together.
- Dec 7 (Mon) 7:30pm-9pm: BOLT Leader End of Semester Gathering.
Leader Training Schedule 2016
All trainings are required for our leaders.
If you have an unavoidable conflict with one of the training dates, please inform the managers before your interview.
Please also know that there are two weekend training dates and training review dates in August that you must be able to fully attend without exception; these include Leader Retreat (Fri-Sat) and Inclusive Facilitation (Sat), and the August Leader Training Review. These are non-negotiable. Candidates must be able to arrange their schedules accordingly.
The remaining training dates that are hosted over a weekend and during seniors week are for CPR, WFA and WFR certifications. These can be obtained outside of the BOLT training schedule. That said, the course costs for BOLT are subsidized to offer the best price going and we can offer financial aid for the on-campus courses; so, we advise leaders to capitalize on this opportunity. It is also the easiest option in terms of transportation, food and housing for the course.
Training Trip: We have a 5-day Training Trip in April that can only be missed by permission from our director. We plan the trip for as late in the semester as possible without conflicting with religious holidays. (See the training schedule for dates)
We strongly encourage our leaders to talk with your professors well in advance for any type of accommodations that are needed in order to miss class on. (We depart on Wed at 3pm.) We are very appreciative of the many times when professors are willing to offer an option to our leaders that allows them to meet their course requirements first, but also allows them to participate in the training required of our leaders. As needed, our director can provide notes for professors or TA’s, to confirm your participation in training.
In the case of illnesses or injuries, we hold the make-up training trip during the week after commencement. Travel and job start-dates may need to be adjusted.
We ask that you make your best effort to prioritize BOLT Trainings.
We are able to offer make-up sessions on a very limited basis for some of the trainings, but please understand that if we have requests weekly across the members of the class, this becomes difficult for our managers. (They have classes too.) *We are unable to offer a make-up session for Leader Retreat or Inclusive Faciliation. Please be sure to clear your schedule.
Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leader Training Dates
- Feb 24, 2016 (Wed) 7-10pm: Leader Intro Meeting - BERT 015
- Mar 2 (Wed) 7-10pm: Risk Management Intro and Leave no Trace- BERT 015
- Mar 4 (Fri) 7pm-9pm: CPR Training - BERT 015
- Mar 19 (Sat) 10am-5pm: Inclusive Facilitation* - BERT 015
- Mar 23 (Wed) 7-10pm: Leaders Night Off --- Mentors TT Meeting & Prep - Bert 015
- Spring Break (Mar 26 - Apr 3)
- Easter (Mar 27)
- Apr 20 (Wed) 7-10pm: Behind Closed Doors Scenario Night - Smitty 201 w/ additional scenario spaces in rooms 206, 207, G01, G12, G13, G18 (6 additional rooms)
- Passover Fri Apr 22 - Sat Apr 30
- May 1 (Sun) 12:30pm-2:30pm BOLTer Pre-Summer Meeting - Salomon 001.
(small group discussion spaces - Main Green reservation or if rain locations needed ... Wilson 101, 103, 104,105, 109, 203, 204, 205, 301, 303, 304, 305 and also Salomon 003, 202, 203.)
- May 23 (Sat) 5-7pm: Annual BOLT Commencement and Reunion Reception. Machado. 5pm-7pm.
Pre-site Trips for BOLT Leaders for Route review and terrain familiarity begin in late May and will continue into the summer until late July/early August. Please complete pre-site trips at least a few weeks prior to the trip. If there is a problem wtih your trail, we need time to fix the issue. We also want to prevent an issue where you are either injured or fatigued for the Fall Trip.
Pre-Site Trips:All Leaders must have a level of familiarity with backpacking and the terrain of the White Mountains of New Hampshire in order to lead a group for our annual Fall Trip.
We also need at least one leader (ideally more) that is familiar with the assigned route that the leader team will be facilitating a group experience on for the Fall Trip.
-late May through early August: Pre-site Trips (involves around half the leader class and may apply to you.)
Wilderness Medicine Certification Information
All leaders must be certified in CPR and in wilderness medicine at one of the following levels: Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness EMT (W-EMT) and CPR at the "Heartsaver CPR level" or higher.
We contract with SOLO Wilderness Medicine School, one of the oldest operating Wilderness Medicine Schools in the country, to provide CPR and our wilderness medicine certicication courses for our leaders.
If a leader has their CPR, WFA or WFR already, it must meet the following criteria:
1. You must be able to provide a copy of the certification for BOLT to place on file.
2. It must be valid through the end of the Fall Trip.
3. CPR Certification at a “Heartsaver CPR level” or higher from the American Heart Association (which is valid 2 years) or the Red Cross (valid 1 year).
4. WFA/WFR/WEMT from one of the following schools:
Leader Financial Aid: We have financial assistance available to support our leaders with the tuition costs. Please meet with Shelley (1:1 in her office) if you need support from the program. It is an informal process -- a conversation; so, don't hestiate to pop by her office in the campus center for a private conversation.
CPR & Wilderness First Aid (WFA) = 18 hours ($35+$90 = a $125 course fee):
The CPR and Wilderness First Aid Courses (offered for BOLT in March) are a national certification courses. By hosting it on-campus, we can subsidize the cost to offer it at one of the best rates going for leaders.
The CPR course provides a national certication from the American Heart Association "Heartsaver CPR level" certication.
The CPR and WFA class is capped at 40 for enrollment; this means that, most years, we only have room for past and current BOLT leaders.
Although BOLT is able to offer the course for its leaders on campus, leaders may already have this level of certification or they may choose to take the course elsewhere on their own time.
Wilderness First Responder Upgrade Course = 60 more hours (a $325 course fee):
We will need 22 leaders from the leader class to enroll in the course. This allows us to have at least one leader on each route certified at the WFR or WEMT level, plus have flexibility to complete leader matching or fill vacancies when someone is sick or injured.
We host a course for this certification level in two parts -- Wilderness First Aid in March then a WFR Upgrade course in May. You must hold a current/valid CPR and WFA certification level from either SOLO Schools or one of the reciprocity programs identified below.
The WFR Upgrade class is capped at 25 for enrollment. Most years, we have room for a few Brown students who either have a valid WFA certification or EMT certification to enroll.
Info for WFR Recerts & WFR Upgrades
1) Leaders may re-cert their WFR certifications with a WFA course, if their certification has not expired and was obtained by one of the schools that SOLO recognizes for reciprocity of certifications.
2) Leaders may enroll in the WFR upgrade course if their WFA certification has not expired and it was obtained by one of the schools that SOLO recognizes for reciprocity of certifications.
3) SOLO has reciprocity with the following 5 programs that use their same curriculum for WFA and WFR:
4) Enrollment in BOLT's WFA & WFR upgrade courses is limited and prioritzed to meet the needs of the program (training the leaders); however, from time to time, there is a space or two available for Brown students. Contact our program director if you are interested.