Brown Dining Services is a founding partner of Farm Fresh Rhode Island (FFRI), an organization that started in 2004 as a collaboration between the center for environmental studies, the Rhode Island Foundation, the Rhode Island Division of Agriculture, and Brown Dining Services.
Farm Fresh RI is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to strengthen the local Rhode Island food system through creating stronger, healthier connections between producers, consumers, and the environment. Currently, Farm Fresh RI manages eight urban farmers markets in the greater Providence area, including co-managing with Brown Dining, the market on Brown's campus – Wriston quad to be exact!
- Farmers Market
- 2014 Fall Market
September 3rd - October 29th!
- Come taste the flavors of Rhode Island at the Brown University Farmers Market on Manning Green, right by MacMaillan Hall and the Sciences Library (SciLi). You'll find farmers from across the region offering a selection of locally grown fruits, vegetables, and other edible goodies. From fresh-pressed apple cider to purple cabbages, from Macoun apples to homemade pies, purchases at the market support local family farms and producers. The market is always looking for extra hands to help set up and work with farmers at their stands. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information, contact Georgina Sarpong.
- The following vendors participate in the 2014 Farmers Markets:
- Local Food Forum
- The Local Food Forum is an annual event hosted by Brown Dining Services and held on campus. The forum first began in the spring of 2005 in collaboration with FFRI to connect and build networks among those involved in our local food system. The forum enables buyers and producers to better understand each others’ needs, the event attracts over 200 attendees who include local farmers, food producers, restaurateurs, chefs, faculty, staff, students, and other individuals interested in connecting to the local food system.
- Food Forum 2013 was held on Tuesday, February 6th, 2013. Stayed tuned for 2015!
- Market Mobile
- Market Mobile, an FFRI program, is a centralized distribution method for Rhode Island farmers that began in winter of ’08-’09.
- How it works: every week farmers post prices for their available products through a central online price list; then local restaurants and institutions view the list and place orders. The Market Mobile vehicle picks up farmers’ weekly deliveries from one centralized location and delivers them according to a scheduled route.
- Brown Dining is one of several participating local institutions.