Student Services Resources


Student Support Services for students who have had an incident of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking
The Office of Student Life provides crisis services 24 hours a day for undergraduate, graduate, and medical students who may be dealing with personal or family emergencies. Support services are available to students who have had an incident of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking regardless of whether the complainant chooses to report the incident to Student Conduct, campus police, or local law enforcement. Through a Dean of the Day (business hours, 863-3145) and Administrator-on-Call (evenings and weekends, 863-4111) system, students can receive immediate support and resource information. The Office of Student Life can also contact faculty members when appropriate and at the request of a student. Residential students have the additional support of residential peer counselors and live-in Community Directors for crisis support in their residential living areas.

The following types of Support are available upon request if reasonably available:

No Contact Orders (Or No Communication Orders) are temporary directives issued by the Office of Student Life prohibiting communication between or among designated students.  No Contact Orders (NCOs) are issued when, in the judgment of a Student Life dean, there is reason to believe that an order would be in the best interest of all parties and the community for promoting peace and civility.  NCO's do not become part of a student's conduct record unless he or she violates the order as determined by the student conduct system.  NCO's prohibit all forms of communication between designated students, direct or indirect, written, electronic or through a third party.  The duration of a NCO is determined by the Office of Student Life, and students may request to have a NCO lifted after an appropriate sustained period of compliance. No Contact Orders are not similar to court imposed restraining orders and do not guarantee that designated parties will avoid sightings or passing interactions on the campus or local community.  In some circumstances, a No Contact Order may restrict a student from parts of the campus where he/she would not have to engage in required academic activities. Students who are concerned about their personal safety or need further information about public safety services and options should contact the Department of Public Safety or the Providence Police Department. Students who have questions about NCO's may speak with an Office of Student Life Student Conduct Dean during business hours or with an Administrator On-Call during evenings and weekends.

Academic Accommodations, including faculty notes, course load reduction, tuition adjustment, and graduation planning.

Living Accommodations, including dorm reassignment, off-campus housing permission, changes in meal plans, and access to parking permits.

Working Accommodations, including job changes (work assignments, shift scheduling, and job location).


Disclaimer: BWell Health Promotion is part of Health Services at Brown University. Health Promotion maintains this site as a resource for Brown students. This site is not intended to replace consultation with your medical providers. No site can replace real conversation. Health Promotion offers no endorsement of and assumes no liability for the currency, accuracy, or availability of the information on the sites we link to or the care provided by the resources listed. Health Services staff are available to treat and give medical advice to Brown University students only. If you are not a Brown student, but are in need of medical assistance please call your own health care provider or in case of an emergency, dial 911. Please contact us if you have comments, questions or suggestions.