If you are a professor applying for a training grant, we can help you assemble data for NIH tables and copy-edit your proposal. To get started, please send Brenda Slaney, our training grant coordinator, an email specifying which agency and grant you are applying for, when it's due, and what help you anticipate needing.
A number of other resources, links, and grant-application modules are available. The modules may be used as-is, but they will be most effective when tailored to your specific training program.
- Recent NIH Policy Issues related to NRSA Training Mechanisms
- NOT-OD-14-046 - 2/10/14 Change in NRSA Stipend and Tuition/Fees levels
- NOT-OD-11-110 - 8/26/11 Clarification of Instructions for the Review of Renewal Applications for NRSA Institutional Research Training Grants (Parent T32 and T35)
- NOT-OD-11-100 - 7/28/11 Revised Instructions for Inclusion of Appendix Materials in NRSA Institutional Research Training Grants (Parent T32 and T35)
- NOT-OD-11-060 - 3/25/11 Reissue of Parent T32 / T35
- NOT-OD-11-039 - 2/11/11 Change of Submission of Plans for Instruction in the Responsible Conduct of Research for Institutional Training Grant (T and D) Applications
- NOT-OD-10-115 - 7/23/10 Enhancing Peer Review: New NIH Policy on Post-Submission Application Materials
- NOT-OD-11-026 - 12/8/10 Required Use of xTrain for the Electronic Submission of Appointment Forms and/or Termination Notices (1/1/11 and beyond)
- NIH Changes relating to Training Grants for submissions after 1/25/11:
- Resources for the changes to NIH Institutional Training Grants after 1/25/10:
- OER Jan 2010 "Electronic Submission and Other Changes to Training Grant Applications"
- NIH Enhancing Peer Review "Shortened/Restructured Applications"
- NRSA training grant diversity recruitment and retention page - This page includes links to the following updated documents:
- Strategies and resources for the recruitment and retention of students and fellows from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups and those with disabilities.
- Examples of NIGMS-funded NRSA training programs that have had notable successes or improvements in their diversity recruitment and retention efforts.
- SF424 Instructions / Electronic Submission Information
- PHS 398 Forms/Instructions (including current revisions/updates)
- Grants.gov Apply for Grants Page - step by step guide to application process
Internal Brown Resources
- OVPR Proposal Writing Support
- Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) - OSP's Proposal Preparation Sheet
- Text of Module for Institutional Commitment - updated 3/12
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Statement - updated 4/11
- BioMed Grad RCR Training - Syllabus Fall 2013
- Resources available to BioMed Trainees - updated 4/11
- Research Cores available to BioMed Trainees - updated 3/11
- Diversity/Minority Recruitment and Retention at Brown - updated 3/12
- Postdoctoral Mentoring Plan (for NSF Applications) - updated 3/12
- Professional Development Events AY 2009-10 - updated 12/10
- Professional Development Events AY 2010-11 - updated 12/11
- Professional Development Events AY 2011-12 - updated 05/12
- NIH T series (T32, T90, etc.): Jan. 25th*, May 25th*, Sept. 25th* Annually
- NIH R series (R25, etc.): Jan. 25th*, May 25th*, Sept. 25th* Annually
- *Please check program announcement, as NIH institutes and centers may use non-standard dates
- Dept of Education GAANN: generally in January, application available in December
- NSF IGERT: letters of intent due May 2, 2012; full application due July 2, 2012
- NSF PIRE: May 15, 2012