Welcome to Brown University, an Ivy League institution that is committed to making a distinctive contribution to global research, service and education. As a new employee, you will be contributing to this mission alongside thousands of other staff, faculty and students. We are pleased you have joined us!
Some of the most important actions for you to take as you begin work can be found in the list below, which includes actions that will be important to take in your first days on the job. Our New Hire Orientations are also a great introduction to Brown for new staff and faculty members.
The first days and weeks in a new job can be overwhelming. We hope the information on these pages will help you to get started and find the resources you need to adjust to your new role and surroundings.
Essential Actions for Your First Days at Brown
To get you off to a good start, the Office of Human Resources requests that you do the following on your first few days of work:
- Complete I-9 Employment Eligibility Form. New employees will need to complete Section I of the I-9 form on their first day, and present documentation of their eligibility to work within three days of their start date. Staff, faculty and student employees should present their documents at Human Resources, located on the third floor of the Brown Office Building on 164 Angell Street. Staff affiliated with the Warren Alpert Medical School should do so at BioMed HR, located at 233 Richmond Street, Room 129.
- Receive and sign for the Conflict of Interest Statement and Acknowledgment Form, the Employee Responsibilities and Rights Guidebook, and the link to our online HR Policy Manual while completing your I-9 Eligibility Form (see above for details on where to do this).
- Complete the RI W-4 form. This can be done at the Payroll Office, located on the second floor of the Brown Office Building on 164 Angell Street.
- Visit the Brown Card Office to get your Brown University ID Card. The Brown Card is used for identification, security and access to University buildings and services. It is also needed to initialize your Brown email account and electronic services. Be sure to call before going to the Brown Card Office to be certain that they have all the information needed to issue the card. They may be reached at 863-2273.
- Activate your email and electronic account services (once you've obtained your Brown University ID Card). This can be done at http://activate.brown.edu/files/activate/. Be sure to have your Brown ID Card in hand while completing the online form.
- Complete your employment record in Brown's Workday System. Once you've activated your electronic account services (above), you'll be able to use the user name and password you establish to log in to Workday. Completing your employment record in Workday includes a entering your personal information including race, gender, ethnicity and citizenship status, letting us know how to reach your designated emergency contact(s), and making sure we have the most up-to-date home contact information for you. See our webpage on Workday First Steps for a full list.
- Activate your voicemail by calling Telecommunications at 863-2007.
- Enroll and Make Benefits Elections within 31 days of your hire date. The enrollment process has been automated and can be done on Brown's Workday System. See a screencast on how to enroll by visiting the Benefits home page.