Upon request, Brown may provide financial assistance to an employee through an emergency grant fund designed to help individual University employees recover financially from loss due to natural emergencies, accidents, catastrophes, deaths or illnesses which are no fault of the employee.
- Employees eligible for full time benefits may apply for an emergency grant after completing 12 consecutive months of employment.
- Due to limited funds, priority will be given to employees who have not received Emergency Grant funds previously.
- Maximum grant of $5,000
- The grant is to cover financial losses due to circumstances, which are no fault of the employee such as natural emergencies, accidents, catastrophes, deaths or illness. The grant is not to help employees out of financial trouble due to poor financial management.
- An application including required financial information must be submitted to the Loan Office.
- An approval committee will be responsible for approval of applications. There is no recourse of appeal to the committee's decision.
- There is no guarantee of approval and grants are limited to funds allocated for this program.
- Grants are considered taxable income and tax withholding is required.
Questions regarding any aspect of this policy or the application process should be directed to the Loan Office at 3-3296 or visit the Loan Office Employee Programs page for further information.