Brown University may under certain circumstances reimburse departments for reasonable expenses incurred for interviewing candidates for exempt positions. All interview expense reimbursements are subject to the provisions of the University's policies on travel and entertainment, administered by the Controller's Office.
Eligibility for Interview Expense Reimbursement
Expenses for candidates traveling at least 100 miles (one way) to interview for full time, exempt positions which have been advertised in a newspaper or other media may be eligible for reimbursement.
Types of Interview Expenses Which May Be Reimbursed
Departments are eligible to have the following expenses reimbursed:
- Expenses related to one of an interviewing candidate's trips to the interview location (e.g., reasonable travel fare or mileage, parking, tolls, etc.);
- Cost of the candidate's lodging near the interview location; and
- Cost of meals (during which interviews are conducted) for the candidate plus one Brown employee. Meals for additional Brown employees in attendance will not be reimbursed.
The following expenses are among those not eligible for reimbursement:
- Cost of travel or lodging for a candidate's companion;
- Cost of meals at which no interviewing takes place;
- Note: Departments may choose to reimburse these expenses, subject to the guidelines in the policies on travel and entertainment administered by the Controller's Office.
- Extraneous lodging expenses such as hotel phone charges, room/bar service, etc.; and
- Costs incurred by third parties (e.g., placement firms) in interviewing candidates.
Interview Expense Reimbursement Maximums
The Benefits Office will reimburse departments for interview expenses for up to five candidates per hire, with a $1,500 maximum total reimbursement.