Military Leave

Regular Pay for Military Reserve Duty and Active Military Duty Up to Two Weeks

United States Military reservists or members of the National Guard are permitted to spend up to 10 working days (2 weeks) per calendar year away from their positions at Brown when required to assist with a national, state or local emergency, or for military training duty. A copy of the military orders must be presented to the employee's supervisor as soon as received. Employees must return to work on the first workday after completion of duty, allowing for reasonable travel and rest time. During the time staff members are on military reserve duty, they continue to receive their regular pay and benefits, but must remit to Brown University compensation received for military duty (excluding payments for room and board). Checks received for military duty must be remitted to the Payroll Office. Departments should contact the Payroll Office to make appropriate arrangements in these situations. 

Supplemental Pay for Active Military Duty and Training Exceeding Two Weeks

Members of the Uniformed Services who are called to active duty (including extended training) are eligible for supplemental pay equal to the difference between the military compensation (excluding payments for room and board) for military duty and the employee’s regular rate of pay for up to ninety (90) calendar days of activemilitary service.  In order to receive the supplemental pay, the employee is required to submit a completed Military Leave of Absence request form, a copy of their orders, and a copy of a current pay stub to the Benefits Office. Note: An employee will not receive both 10 days of regular pay and an additional 90 days of supplemental pay for the same Military Leave request.

Intent to Comply With Applicable Law

Brown University will fully comply with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) concerning compensation, benefit continuation and job reinstatement rights in the administration of these leave provisions.  In situations where this policy does not contain a specific obligation or right, the University will follow applicable federal requirements.  Please contact the Benefits Office if you require additional information.