Retirement for most people isn't just an event, it's a process that unfolds gradually over time. With the need for planning in mind, here is some information to get you started if you are considering retiring from Brown.
1. Calculate your benefits online based on your actual Social Security record at www.ssa.gov. You can also estimate life expectancy and learn what you can do online at this easy-to-use website.
2. You will need to learn about Medicare, the federal program that is the primary health insurance for almost all Americans age 65 and older. The official Medicare website is www.medicare.gov and it explains how and when to enroll.
3. Please consult the investment companies for Brown's retirement plans for information on distributions from your account(s), including the minimum distribution requirements. Click here to visit Brown's retirement plan webpage which provides links to both TIAA-Cref and Fidelity. Both companies offer on-campus appointments and also have local offices where you can schedule a meeting at your convenience.
4. For health, dental, and other benefits details including COBRA rights, continuation of coverage to age 65 and options for those 65 and older, please see the Information Guide for Employees Leaving the Service of Brown University.
5. You may want to consider enrolling in long-term care insurance to protect your retirement assets from being eroded by the potentially devastating costs of long-term care. Click here to view Brown's long-term care webpage.
6. The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) can help you address issues with retirement planning. Click here for more information on how to utilize the program.
Employees may attend confidential consultations on campus with Fidelity and TIAA-Cref. Click here to view the Financial Tuesdays schedule and information on how to make an appointment.
Employees may also visit Fidelity and TIAA-Cref local offices at the addresses listed below.
10 Memorial Blvd., Suite 102
Providence, RI 02903
*Monday-Friday 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
15 Park Row West, Suite 102
Providence, RI 02903
*Schedule a visit by calling 1-800-897-1026