Diversity Advisory Board
The Diversity Advisory Board is a broadly representative, deliberative group that meets to consider matters that concern the campus community especially with regards to diversity. Its mission concerns the well-being of the community—its capacity for collegiality and the pursuit of the commonweal while preserving an excellent education for all students. The goals of the Committee shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- To work with and advise the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity and other senior officers as appropriate concerning the promotion of diversity and the development of a welcoming and inclusive campus climate.
- Identify ways to educate the community about diversity and provide guidance for dealing with community issues.
- To develop an effective means of communication about diversity issues with all segments of the community. Membership
The membership shall consist of the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity; the Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services; a minimum of three faculty members; a minimum of two undergraduate students, two graduate students and two medical students; and a minimum of four staff members. Members shall serve staggered two-year terms.
- Chair and Staffing The Board Chair shall be the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity. The vice Chair shall be a faculty member who is elected by the Board at the end of his/her first year of service. The Council shall be staffed by the Office of Institutional Diversity.
- Procedures An Executive Committee, consisting of at least the Chair and Vice Chair, shall set the agenda for Board meetings. The Board shall meet at least twice per semester. The Board shall report annually in writing to the Faculty. The report is to be given by the vice Chair or, in his/her absence, by the Chair.
- Appointment of Members Faculty members will be appointed by the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity with advice from the Committee on Nominations. Student members will be appointed by the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity with advice from the Undergraduate Council of Students (UCS), the Graduate Student Council (GSC) and the Medical Student Senate. Staff members will be appointed by the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity with advice from the Staff Advisory Council (SAC).
Liza Cariaga-Lo, Associate Provost for Academic Development and Diversity, Chair
Robert George Lee, Associate Professor of American Civilization, Faculty Vice-Chair
Pura Nieto Hernandez – Senior Lecturer in Classics – to June 2013
Elena Oancea – Assistant Professor of Medicine – to June 2013
Keith Thompson – Computer Education Specialist - to June 2013
Christopher Gilbody - Assistant Director of Financial Aid - To June 2014
Natasha Go - Assistant Director of Admissions - to June 2014
Eme Ikpeme (graduate) to June 2013
Paul Tran (undergraduate) to June 2013
Kai Herng Loh (undergraduate) to June 2013
Brian Kundinger (undergraduate) to June 2014
Destin Sisemore (undergraduate) to June 2014
Efe Cudjoe (undergraduate) to June 2014
Rachel Leiken (undergraduate) to June 2014
Samantha DeAndrade (medical) to June 2014
Hannah Janeway (medical) to June 2014
Appointment Diversity Administrators
Mary Grace Almandrez, Director of the Third World Center
Wendy McRae-Owoeye – Director of Staff Diversity
Catherine Axe – Director of Disability Support Services
R. David Coolidge – Muslim Chaplain of the University
Gail Cohee – Director, Sarah Doyle Women’s Center
Jabbar Bennett – Assistant Dean of Recruiting and Professional Development
Janet Cooper-Nelson, University Chaplain