IA oversees the University’s wide array of international partnerships and programs, and works closely with faculty and administration to ensure that new initiatives serve to enhance Brown’s global standing and research mission. Working with other relevant officers at Brown, the Assistant Provost and Director for International Affairs and the IA office have responsibility to:
- Develop policy, mission, and goals on global engagement and raising Brown’s international visibility
- Develop policy on individual countries and regions, level of commitment to specific areas, and agendas for those locations
- Sustain existing international institutional partnerships and programs, and develop new ones
- Strengthen existing centers and programs relevant to internationalization
- Strengthen faculty international research support and facilitate international faculty exchanges
- Attract significant new resources to support international initiatives
- Support curricular efforts related to internationalization
- Develop structures and facilitate expanded options for undergraduate and graduate student international experiences
- Advise on decisions and appointments relevant to international subject areas
- Develop initiatives across campus to further internationalization
- Facilitate cooperation and coordination among campus offices doing international work
Among many diverse programs across campus, the Office oversees these particular initiatives:
- A portfolio of funding opportunities to facilitate faculty research partnerships outside the U.S and funding to support on-campus programs and events with an international dimension.
- Coordination of select visits to Brown’s campus from international delegations and dignitaries.
- The Brown Global Forums, a short-term faculty exchange program with select partner institutions.