In order to be eligible for an employee loan, Brown employees must:
1. Be working on the regular payroll (working means "at work", "on paid vacation", or "on paid sick leave" - those "not at work" or "on extended leave" are not eligible);
2. Be eligible for full-time benefits;
3. Have completed their probationary period and be in good standing with an expectation of continued employment with Brown for at least 12 months;
4. Not have a lien or levy on their salary or wages or have outstanding past due debt to the University (Miscellaneous Accounts Receivable, Faculty Club, Controller's - Travel);
5. Be credit-worthy; a credit bureau history will be obtained by Brown University to ascertain creditworthiness of the employee.
An eligible employee may borrow an amount up to 20% of his or her annual base salary. Interest rate is fixed at the prime rate at the time of the loan application, up to a maximum of 12% simple interest. Only one employee loan may be outstanding at any point in time.
The loan will be repaid through payroll deductions over a 12-month period or over the remaining months of full-time, active employment if less than 12 months will be worked.
If an employee does not receive a salary (for leave of absence or other reason), he or she agrees to pay the regularly scheduled payment by the prescribed payment due date. Failure to do so may result in an acceleration of the loan with a demand for immediate payment in full. A late fee equal to 10% of the payment will be assessed after each missed payment.
If employment is terminated, the principal and interest due, will be deducted equally from each of the paychecks subsequent to the notification of termination. If the deductions are not sufficient to pay the principal and interest due, the employee agrees to pay the remaining amount in full as of the last date of employment.
Applicants should expect the process to take approximately 10 to 12 business days from the time the application is received in the Loan Office.
The employee must complete a Brown University Employee Loan Application. (See below) This is a fillable PDF form. Please complete the form online, then print and sign. Upon completion, direct the application to your Department Head for approval.
Employee must sign certifying all information is correct, authorizing Brown to obtain a credit history report, affirming repayment of the loan and acknowledging repayment terms when there is no salary or University employment is terminated.
The Department Head must sign certifying the applicant is a "working" employee who has completed his or her probationary period, is in good standing, and is expected to remain an employee of the University for the next 12 months. If the employee does not meet any of these eligibility criteria, the Department Head should not sign the application and explain the reason to the applicant. Upon completion, direct the application to the Loan Office for processing.