This workshop series, offered regularly, addresses practical strategies for new instructors. Check Upcoming Events for current offerings.
“Teaching for the First Time”
This workshop helped new instructors learn how to prepare, plan and implement best teaching practices.
This workshop introduced basic principles of syllabus design.
- PowerPoint slides from the workshop
- Handout: Syllabus Design
- Handout: Syllabus Headings
- Handout: Syllabus Rubric
This workshop introduced strategies that help new instructors communicate in their classroom.
This workshop introduced strategies that promote active learning in the classroom.
- Handout: Interactive Classroom Activities
- Handout: Characteristics that May Give You a Unique Perspective
- Handout: Case Study: The Curious Case of Jenny
- Handout: Questions to Provoke Critical Thinking
This workshop introduced strategies that help new instructors learn to grade effectively and efficiently.
“Designing Grading Rubrics”
This workshop addressed designing an effective rubric and assessing the quality of a rubric you create.
- Handout: Designing Grading Rubrics
- Handout: Reflective Prompts
- Handout: Apple Pie Rubrics
- Handout: Holistic & Analytic Rubrics
- Handout: Sample Grading Criteria & Rating Scales
- Handout: Grading Rubrics Checklist & A Rubric for Rubrics
- Handout: Getting Timely Feedback on Your Teaching
- Handout: Three Easy Ways to Solicit Mid-Semester Feedback
- Handout: Making Sense of Student Feedback
Supporting Student Study Habits
At this workshop participants learned about the issues Brown students encounter while studying and what they can do to help students avoid pitfalls and get on track to succeed in courses.