From: Russell Carey and Margaret Klawunn
To: Students, faculty and staff
Dear Members of the Brown Community,
We are writing to follow-up on President Paxson's recent communication to the community regarding campus safety. As she noted in that communication, we are launching a pilot program to expand Brown onCall, the on-call evening shuttle service that currently transports registered Brown community members between campus and off-campus residences in the vicinity. Effective today, the Brown onCall service will be available to all Brown community members without pre-registration for point-to-point transportation during the service hours (currently 7:00 pm to 3:00 am; starting at 5:00 pm when daylight savings time ends) within the onCall coverage area.
A few important points regarding the pilot:
- Brown onCall is available to faculty, students and staff with a valid ID and, on a space available basis, one guest. No pre-registration is required; to request a ride have your Brown ID available and call (401) 863-1778 or do so online.
- Service is point-to-point anywhere in the onCall coverage area, however members of the community should continue to utilize the Brown Evening Shuttle for travel between all on-campus destinations on that fixed-route. If you request onCall for travel between locations served by the fixed-route shuttle you will be referred to that service.
- Community members traveling late at night should plan accordingly to ensure they can get to their final destination before the onCall service ends at 3:00 am. We do anticipate increased utilization which may lead to increased wait-times.
- Keep in mind that onCall is intended to promote a safe and secure campus environment for Brown community members. It is not a taxi service and should not be used as such.
- Detailed operational rules and regulations and the coverage area are available online.
This is a pilot, and we will be assessing utilization and effectiveness as part of the work of the Campus Safety Task Force over the course of this semester. We welcome comments, suggestions and feedback to help inform that assessment. Finally, we wish to thank Elizabeth Gentry and Carleia Lighty in Financial & Administrative Services and our colleagues at First Transit for rapidly making the necessary arrangements to launch this pilot in short order.
Russell C. Carey
Executive Vice President, Planning and Policy
Vice President, Campus Life and Student Services