Roman Emperors at Brown
The banner of the Classics Department's web page features a photograph of Brown's "Marcus Aurelius", a copy of the bronze equestrian statue of the Roman emperor housed in the Musei Capitolini on the Campidoglio in Rome. A gift to Brown University in 1907 of Moses Brown Ives Goddard (class of 1854), the statue stands at the top of Lincoln Field, behind Sayles Hall, facing Thayer Street. (Encyclopedia Brunoniana entry)
Its counterpart, a bronze copy of the marble statue of Augustus found at Livia's villa at Prima Porta and now in the Vatican Museums in Rome, was unveiled by Ives Goddard on the opening day of classes in 1906 at its original location on the College Green in front of Rhode Island Hall. After losing its extended right arm in a hurricane of 1938, the statue was moved in 1952 to its current location in front of the Sharpe Refectory in Hughes Court. (Encyclopedia Brunoniana entry)
In addition, the Department of Classics and the Joukowsky Institute for the Ancient World have private departmental collections that are displayed throughout our buildings.
Brown and Beyond
The Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology, Brown University’s museum of cultural history, is located in Bristol, Rhode Island, as well as having a satellite location in Manning Hall on Brown’s Main Green. The Haffrenreffer mounts new exhibits regularly.
The RISD Museum of Art, Brown's neighbor, houses collections of Greek, Hellenistic, Roman, Mesoamerican, Asian and African art, artifacts, and coins.
Check out other Museums in New England.