Brown Classical Journal Submission Guidelines
The Brown Classical Journal is published annually by the students of the Department of Classics. We welcome submissions of essays, original poetry, translations from the Greek and Latin, art work, or original photographs on a classical theme, from any undergraduate with an interest in the classics. Although we anticipate that the bulk of accepted submissions will focus on Greco-Roman antiquity and on the traditions of classical antiquity in subsequent eras, we also welcome submissions that treat the cultures of any ancient society, East or West.
Manuscripts and any other submission should be addressed to: Faculty Advisor, Brown Classical Journal, Department of Classics, Brown University, Box 1856, Providence, RI 02912. All submissions are acknowledged. Each contributor will receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which his/her work was published. Only submissions by Brown undergraduates will be considered for publication.
The Brown Classical Journal uses the The Chicago Manual of Style, 14th Edition, as its guide for scholarly annotation (see Chapter 16 on the author-date style) and as its guide for conventions of spelling, punctuation, and printing. Full references should be compiled in bibliographic format at the end of each manuscript.
Note the following submission requirements:
- Double space all material (including block quotes and footnotes) and leave margins of at least one inch on each side of the text. The preferred fonts are Palatino and Times.
- Submission of a disk copy of the manuscript is required, in addition to one hard copy. The Brown Classical Journal is produced using Macintosh Word 98. We also have the ability to translate submissions made in other word processing programs or in Windows format.
- Each submission should include the title of the work, the author's name, concentration, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- Block quotes of foreign languages should be followed by English translations.
- The social science model of citation should be used throughout the manuscript on in the references.
- Leave spaces between modern authors' initials (e.g., T. S. Elliot).
- If available, use "smart quotes" and the "en-dash" (vs. standard quotes and the double hyphen).
- Original photographs should be submitted for consideration. All photographs will be returned in their original condition. When submitting a photograph, also include information for a caption, explaining the content of the photograph, where it is located, and its historical date.
- Original artwork should be submitted as ink drawings in black ink. Keep in mind that the final page frame is 4.5 x 7 inches. Larger submissions will be reduced to fit the page frame.