Independent Concentrations

Even though Brown offers nearly 80 undergraduate concentrations, students still have the option of creating and designing their own. Independent concentrations—usually focusing on a broad problem, theme, or question, rather than a discipline— must be sponsored by at least one faculty member and reviewed and approved by the College Curriculum Council.

Students interested in pursuing an independent concentration (IC) must submit a proposal prior to the end of their sixth semester. To do so, they must work closely with a faculty advisor to ensure that their ideas are developed properly. Preparing, revising, and approving an independent concentration is a process that requires several months.

Proposals for independent concentrations must include a letter of support from a member of the University faculty above the level of instructor. (Emeriti faculty, adjunct instructors, and visiting lecturers are ineligible to serve as independent concentration advisors.) The faculty letter must endorse the proposed concentration and indicate the faculty member's commitment to serve as the student's primary advisor. See the "IC Faculty Advisor Info Sheet" on the CRC website for more information.

Students interested in an independent concentration should consult with Dean Besenia Rodriguez, who oversees the IC program, and the CRC's peer advisor for independent concentrations no later than their fifth semester of study. For a complete description of the independent concentration proposal and approval process, download the Independent Concentration Program Guide on this page.