Fall 2014: April 4, 2013
Before submitting an Independent Study Application, please read thoroughly the Independent Studies Guidelines. We also recommend giving your intended faculty sponsor the Faculty Info Sheet for more information about being a (G)ISP/AI sponsor.
Proposals for GISPs, ISPs, and AIs must be submitted using the Independent Study Application.
Send the following to Independent_Study@brown.edu:
- The completed Independent Study Application saved as a .docx or .doc file with an abbreviated title as the file name.
- The Faculty Sponsor Statement.
- If a co-sponsor is not a member of Brown faculty, they should complete the Instructor Sponsor Statement.
- If this is a language Independent Study, complete the Language IS Supplement.
- If this is an Academic Internship, complete the AI Supplement. AIs are during the academic year only.
- If students will be taking any field trips, each student must submit the Request for Release and Waiver
For a sample GISP application, check out the Infographics GISP for Fall 2012. To see previously approved GISPs, visit the Past GISPs Database.
Every student participant in a GISP is expected to contribute to the course syllabus. For this reason, no student may enroll in a GISP after its proposal has been approved.