Baker and Emery Fellowships
|Eligibility||Seniors planning to attend professional or graduate school the year following graduation|
The Harvey A. Baker Fellowships are awarded annually to outstanding members of the graduating class to aid them in undertaking graduate or professional study at a university of their choice either in the U.S. or abroad. The income for these fellowships derives from a trust estate established by the late Marion North Brown Baker in memory of her husband, Harvey Baker, 1881-1951 (A.B. Brown, 1903; L.L.B., Harvard, 1906), a prominent Providence attorney.
The Anne Crosby Emery Alumnae Fellowships are awarded each year to honor women in the graduating class and to aid them in undertaking graduate or professional study at a university of their choice either in the U.S. or abroad. The Fellowships were founded by the Alumnae Association of Brown University in 1914. The purpose of the Fellowships, maintained in honor of the second dean of the Women’s College in Brown University, is to stimulate the intellectual life of undergraduate students.
The deed of trust for the Baker provides that each student selected must have high scholastic standing; have participated in college activities; and have shown qualities of leadership.
The Emery is awarded on the basis of scholarly ability and excellence of character. In both cases, strong preparation and excellent potential for success in graduate school is important.
$10,000 to support graduate and professional school study for Brown graduating seniors for one year.
Applicants must submit a complete application by the campus deadline. We require one printed copy of the following items:
- A completed application form
- The answers to the series of four questions asked on the application
- An official or unofficial Brown University transcript
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a Brown faculty member. Please have letters addressed to Linda Dunleavy, Associated Dean of the College for Fellowships.
Click here to download the application.
Instructions for applying:
- UPLOAD the complete application form to UFunds, Brown's online application system.
- UPLOAD a separate document to UFunds, the answers to the series of four questions asked on the application
- REGISTER your referees in UFunds. Once you do so, the system will send a request for a reference with login information and instructions for submitting their letters by the campus deadline.
- UPLOAD an official or unofficial Brown University transcript to UFunds.
Fellowship Program Coordinator
1 Prospect Street, Box 1828, Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
- Nicholas Bartos, '13
- Maggie Chung, '13
- Andrew Kim, '13
- Natalie Ring, '13
- Jenna Kahn, '12
- Nicole Noronha, '12
- Caroline Silvestri, '12
- Indu Voruganti, '12
- Joshua Bernard, '11
- Jee Hyun Choi, '11
- Huong Dang, '11
- Mark Caine, '10
- Gabriel Heiderich, '10
- Zachary Marcus, '10
- Meghan Cordula Andrews, '08
- John Stephen Cox, '08
- Michael Tw Huang, '08
- Sandra Johanna Valenciano, '08
- Paisid Aramphongphan, '07
- Rex Tang Cheung, '07
- Frank Anthony Crespo, '07
- Karen Jennifer Kudelko, '07
- Candice Ray Sheldon, '07