Saint Andrew's Society Scholarship
Since 1960, the Saint Andrew’s Society of the State of New York has offered two graduate scholarships annually to students of Scottish descent in order to promote cultural interchange and goodwill between Scotland and the United States. Saint Andrew’s Scholarships fund one year of study at any of the universities in Scotland. Brown is invited to nominate one candidate to the national competition.
Selection for an award is based on the applicant’s record of academic achievement, participation in extracurricular activities, leadership qualifications, financial need, employment, evidence of some Scottish descent, and personal objectives. Scholastic accomplishment is not the sole criterion for selection; all-around achievement, character, and indications of probable further development are also important factors. The Society expects applicants to be fine representatives of the U.S. Applicants should have a clear idea of a project which can be completed in one academic year.
A Saint Andrew’s Scholarship provides funds of up to $20,000 to cover tuition and related academic expenses and help defray transportation and living expenses.
Brown is invited to nominate one candidate to the national competition.We require one copy of the following by the November 8, 2013 campus deadline.
- The St. Andrew's application form
- An official Brown University transcript (mailed or hand delivered to Linda Sutherland) Unofficial is fine for the campus deadline.
- Current CV
- Essay responses
- Proof of financial need
- Two letters of recommendation addressed to Linda Dunleavy, Associate Dean of the College for Fellowships.
Applicants from the class of 2014 will apply through UFunds, Brown's online application system.
Instructions for applying:
- UPLOAD your complete application to UFunds
- UPLOAD a PDF of the essay responses to UFunds
- UPLOAD a PDF of your current CV to UFunds
- REGISTER your Referees on UFunds, Brown's online application system. Once you do so, the system will send a request for a reference with login information to the person registered. The referees are then responsible for uploading their references to UFunds by the November 8, 2013 campus deadline.
- UPLOAD a PDF copy of your most recent unofficial transcript to UFunds. If you are nominated you will be required to send an Official transcript to our office.
Fellowship Program Coordinator
Box 1828, Brown University
Providence, RI 02912