Summer Email #7: Final TVR Email: Orientation Info (August 23, 2013)
Dear incoming transfer, visiting, and RUE students,
We are so excited to meet you in just a few days!
Today's email is our last summer communication to you before we welcome you here in person at the TVRUE Welcome Meeting (REQUIRED) this coming Saturday, Aug 31, 4:00 p.m. in Salomon 001 (on the college green). Please be sure to check out the Transfer, Visiting, and Resumed Undergraduate Education Orientation Schedule. When you arrive on campus, head to the Residential Life Office to pick up your keys and a packet that includes important information on the dates/times/locations of certain meetings that are part of your personal orientation schedule.
To help you organize your time during Orientation, we’ve acquired a mobile app called Guidebook, which you can use to browse Orientation events, create a personalized schedule, and set reminders for yourself. The app, which is free, also includes mapping data to help you find your way around campus. At the end of this email is a set of instructions for downloading Guidebook. (If you're not a smartphone user, don't worry -- the schedule is always available at the Orientation website, and you'll receive a hard copy when you arrive on campus.)
We’ve attached two important items to this email:
The first includes basic safety and University expectations as you transition into the Brown community. Please review the attached document carefully.
The second document was compiled by Peer Counselors in 2012. Remember that they, too, were in your shoes as students who transferred to Brown from another school. On Monday, Sept. 2, we'll have a session called "Academic Nuts and Bolts," where we'll discuss academic policies and programs, as well as important information about campus life. Please read through this document beforehand so that you'll be prepared to ask your Counselors questions.
How to Download Guidebook:
To get the guide, choose one of the methods below:
- Download 'Guidebook' from the Apple App Store or the Android Marketplace. Then download the Brown University Orientation guide, which will be listed under the "Download Guides" section of the application.
- Visit http://guidebook.com/getit from your phone's browser. Then download the Brown University Orientation guide, which will be listed under the "Download Guides" section of the application.
- Scan the QR Code found on the Orientation website with your mobile phone (QR-Code reader required, e.g. 'Red Laser,' 'Barcode Scanner'). Then click "Get the app."
Once you've downloaded the Guide:
- Begin by going to the Foundations & Values section. These events are considered mandatory for all new undergraduates. Add each of these sessions to "My Schedule." Take note that some sessions are repeated and you are assigned to particular sessions as indicated in your arrival packet.
- Go to the Transfer, Visiting, & RUE student section and add these meetings to "My Schedule."
- If you are participating in International Orientation, go to the Pre-Orientation section and select that program. Add these events to "My Schedule."
- Go to the General Orientation section and browse through the many social and educational programs offered for you. Add any desired sessions to "My Schedule."
- NOTE: A Parents & Families section is included. Please share this section with those who will be coming with you to campus; it provides information on the events that have been specifically planned with your family members in mind.
Good luck with your packing and travels and see you very soon!
Your TVRUE deans,
Deans Maitrayee Bhattacharyya and Carol Cohen