At a Glance
Partner Institution: University of Granada
Housing: host families, with the option of moving to a flat after orientation
Accepts Non-Brown Students: No
Language Requirements: Advanced
Brown offers students with exceptional Spanish language skills the opportunity to enroll in a special semester program of study at the University of Granada's Faculty of Translation and Interpretation, commonly referred to as "Traductores." Traductores offers the largest array of linguistic offerings of any university in Spain and is renowned for its rigor in preparing students to translate and interpret at a professional level. Serious students of language will have an opportunity to immerse themselves in specialized courses that will significantly improve their language communication skills and give them a competitive advantage for career positions that require highly-honed second language proficiency.
Upon arrival, fall term students will enroll in a one month advanced-level intensive Spanish language course (two weeks for arriving spring term students) offered through the University of Granada's Center for Modern Languages (CLM). Students then begin their coursework at Traductores, enrolling in a load equivalent to 30 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits or 4 Brown credits. Examples of courses include:
- Spanish Language (for High Advanced/Native Speakers)
- Theory and Practice in Translation (Traductología)
- Culture of Spanish Language
- Spanish-English-Spanish Translation
- Spanish-English-Spanish Interpretation
- Specialized English-Spanish Translation
- Careers in Translation and Interpretation
- Interpretation in the Public Sector
- Interpretation in Commerce and Tourism
- Translation in Science and Technology
- Computer Technology Tools for Translation and Interpretation
At the beginning of each term, Brown students will be assigned academic tutors who will guide and assist their studies throughout the semester.
- Fall term: early September to the end of the third week in January
- Spring term: late January through June
Students will be placed with carefully selected host families during the first month of the program. After the first month, they may choose to continue with the host family or, with the assistance of on-site staff, they may find their own housing, usually in shared private flats.
Given the advanced language level required for this program, students who are interested should meet with the faculty advisor from the Hispanic studies department to discuss further.
Apply by the deadline using Brown's online application system via the "apply now" and "return to application" buttons on the right side of this page. Applications typically require faculty recommendations so it is important to begin the process early.