Brown's culture of independent and integrated inquiry supports moments of transformative learning that occur outside the classroom or lab. Building on the curricular freedom and activist spirit that are distinctive features of a Brown education, the Swearer Center has made the advising of students a key priority.
Advising at the Swearer Center:
- Challenges students to think comprehensively about community work, social change and social innovation.
- Helps students to design meaningful experiences that integrate study and community work that make a positive difference not only for themselves but also for the community and world.
- Encourages students to examine their purpose in the world and their goals for a Brown education.
- Introduces students to social issues in Providence and Rhode Island, as well as key organizations, leaders, advocates, organizations, and residents involved with those issues.
- Promotes opportunities for community engagement in Providence, the nation and the world.
- Educates students about the many fellowship, internship, time-off and study abroad opportunities that relate to public service and social change.
For newly accepted students interested in community service, the University Community Academic Advising Program matches first-year students with academic advisors who encourage them to think about the connection of academic study with work and service in the community.
The Social Innovation Initiative is a hub for social innovation and entrepreneurship that supports the develop of social ventures; builds opportunities to explore innovation through classes, campus activities, and careers; and sparks new relationships and ideas for social impact.
Careers in the Common Good (CCG) is a resource for students and alumni interested in nonprofit careers and working for the common good. CCG provides an array of resources that help students explore ways to craft a career that makes a difference.
Swearer Center staff members are available to advise students during regular office hours and by appointment.