The TRI-Lab Program at Brown University is an initiative that brings together students, faculty, and community practitioners to engage with complex social issues and collaboratively develop, refine, and test solutions to these issues. Topics are selected based on faculty research priorities, student interest, and community need. Lab participants work together to inquire and learn, conduct research, and create positive social impact in Providence and Rhode Island.
The heart of each Lab is one or two semester seminar in which participants explore the framework and context of an issue and harness their multiple perspectives towards creative solutions. In the year following the seminar, Lab cohorts apply for seed funding to continue to work together to build practice and knowledge around solutions.
Currently, the TRI-Lab Program runs three Labs:
- The Healthy Food Access Lab launched in Fall 2014 and focuses on approaches to reducing food insecurity.
- The Climate Change and Environmental Justice Lab will begin in Spring 2015 to investigate impacts of climate change on vulnerable communities in Rhode Island.
- Participants in the Healthy Early Childhood Development Lab, which launched in Fall 2013, are currently implementing projects they developed during the seminar.
Additionally, TRI-Lab has awarded a planning grant to The Center for Prisoner Health and Human Rights to work with faculty and community partners to develop a future Lab focused on issues of incarceration, race, criminal justice, and health. The planning effort will be led by Brad Brockmann, Executive Director.
To learn more about TRI-Lab:
- Read TRI-Lab participants’ first-hand experiences on Swearer Sparks, an online platform for social change and storytelling.
- Join us for one of our upcoming events centered on current and future topics of the TRI-Lab.
- Sign up for our quarterly newsletter! See our most recent Fall 2013 and Winter 2014 newsletters.
- Read TRI-Lab’s first year update.
TRI-Lab in the News:
- Number of TRI-Lab Applications Holds Steady, Brown Daily Herald, October 30, 2014.
- Lab's research a community effort, Providence Business News, March 24, 2014.
- TRI-Lab announces next steps at open house, News from Brown, February 28, 2014.
- TRI-Lab Pilot Project Explores Human Development, Brown Daily Herald, December 2, 2013.
- A video of the TRI-Lab Launch featuring remarks by Brown University President Christina Paxson. April 3, 2013.