J. Donald Easton
Professor Emeritus of Neurology
Work: +1 401-444-8795
J. Donald Easton has research interests in antiplatelet agents in prevention of stroke and other vascular diseases, carotid artery surgery in stroke prevention, patent foramen ovale and stroke, and rimonabant in vascular diseases.
BiographyDr. Easton was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. He graduated from the University of Washington School of Medicine. He was elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Omega Alpha.
He was a Medicine Intern and Neurology Resident at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center and assumed his first academic appointment at the University of California at San Diego. He assumed his present position, in 1986, of Professor & Chairman, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Brown Medical School, and Neurologist-in-Chief at the Rhode Island Hospital.
He has been a Director of the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, a Councilor of the American Neurological Association, Officer of the Association of University Professors of Neurology, Chairman of the Residency Review Committee for Neurology, Chairman of the American Heart Association Stroke Council, Chairman of the Neurological Disorders Program, Project Review Committee-A at the NIH, and is presently on the NIH Advisory Council for the Neurological Institute.
Dr. Easton has served on numerous Steering, Advisory, Organizing and Monitoring Committees for many clinical trials and congresses. He also has served on the editorial boards of many journals. He has published more than 270 journal articles, books, chapters & miscellaneous publications.
Dr. Easton is an honorary member of the Stroke Society of Australasia, the Austrian Society for Stroke Research, the Belgian Stroke Society and the Mexican Association of Cerebral Vascular Disease.
Research DescriptionDr. Easton is a Co-Primary Investigator (PI) or Executive Committee member on three international, multicenter clinical trials for prevention of atherothrombosis. He is one of the designers of the scope and methodology of these trials. These trials include:
CASTIAClopidogrel in Acute Stroke and TIA (CASTIA) Trial, Co-Principal Investigator, Trial Coordinating CenterUC San Francisco (Sponsor: Sanofi Aventis), 2005- ;
CRESCENDOComprehensive Rimonabant Evaluation Study of Cardiovascular Endpoints and Outcomes (CRESCENDO) Study, Trial Coordinating CenterCleveland Clinic Foundation (Sponsor: Sanofi Aventis), 2005- ;
ARISTOTLEApixaban in Afib trial.
Grants and AwardsPhi Beta Kappa, 1960
Phi Kappa Phi, 1960
Alpha Omega Alpha, 1963
Medical Thesis Honors, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1964
Election to Faculty Council, University of California, San Diego, 1973-1976
Outstanding Teacher Award, 1972, University of California, San Diego
Distinguished Service Citation, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 1973
Election to Faculty Senate, Southern Illinois University, 1975-1977
Board Member, Sangamon County Medical Society, 1975-1977
Outstanding Instructor Award, 1975 Graduating Class, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Selected by Graduating Class, 1977, as Investing Officer at Commencement, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Outstanding Teacher, 1977-1978, awarded by Department of Medicine Housestaff, University of Missouri School of Medicine
Selected for "Giants in Medicine" by Graduating Class, 1978, 1979, 1980, and 1982, University of Missouri School of Medicine
Student Affairs Council Service Award (The Outstanding Faculty Member, 1979, University of Missouri School of Medicine)
Selected by Graduating Class, 1980, as Investing Officer at Commencement, University of Missouri School of Medicine
Golden Apple Award, 1980, awarded by the Classes of 1980 and 1981, University of Missouri School of Medicine, as the outstanding clinical teacher
Selected "Distinguished Professor" for teaching excellence by 1983 and 1984 Graduating Classes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
The William Henry Hudson Lecture, 35th Annual Meeting of the Southern Neurosurgical Society, Sea Island, GA, March 2-5, 1983.
Third Scandinavian Conference on Cerebrovascular Disease, Keynote Speaker, Helsinki, Finland, November 4-5, 1985.
Selected "Outstanding Professor", for teaching excellence by 1985 and 1986 Graduating Classes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Brown University, Honorary Masters Degree ad eundem, 1987
Selected by the Class of 1990, "Marshall of the Medical Procession," Commencement Day, May, 1990
Selected for the "M.D. Class of 1990 Teaching Award" on Commencement Day, May 28, 1990
Malaysian Society of Neurosciences, Keynote Speaker, Treatments for the prevention of stroke, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, October 5, 1990.
8th Asian and Oceanian Congress of Neurology, Antiplatelet Therapy Symposium, Keynote Speaker, Tokyo, Japan, September 5, 1991.
Argentine Society of Cardiology, corresponding member, 1992
Hellenic Neurological Society, Annual Meeting, Keynote Speaker. Athens, Greece, October 7, 1993
The Garson Visiting Professorship, Mt. Sinai Hospital and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, April 6-8, 1994
Elected to Honorary Membership in the Stroke Society of Australasia, 1994
Who's Who in the World, ed. 13, New Providence, NJ, Reed Reference Publishing Co., 1996.
The Best Doctors in America, Naifeh S, Smith GW (eds.). Aiken, SC, Woodward-White, 1992-1993,1994-1995, 1996-1997, 1998-1999, 2000-2001
Elected to Honorary Membership, Austrian Society for Stroke Research, Vienna, January, 1999
Keynote Speaker, Director's Retirement, National Institutes of Health-National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke, Bethesda, MD, November 19, 1999
Elected to Honorary Membership in the Belgium Stroke Council, Brussels, September 16, 2000
28th Robert B. Aird Visiting Professor of Neurology, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, September 27-29, 2000
4th Feinberg Memorial Lecturer, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, October 27, 2000
9th William M. Feinberg Award for Excellence in Clinical Stroke, American Heart Association Stroke Council, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, February 14, 2001
Selected for Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, Brown Medical School, 2002
Appointed to National Advisory Neurological Disorders and Stroke Council, by the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, 2002-2006
Elected to Honorary Membership in the Mexican Association of Cerebral Vascular Disease, June 21, 2003
AffiliationsAmerican Academy of Neurology, Fellow (FAAN), 1966
Association of University Professors of Neurology, 1974
American Heart Association, Stroke Council, Fellow (FAHA), 1971
American Medical Association, 1974
International Society of Cerebral Circulation and Metabolism, 1981
American Neurological Association, 1982
World Federation of Neurology, Research Group on Cerebrovascular Disease, 1982
International Stroke Society, 1990
Antithrombotic Trialists' Collaboration, 1997
Co-Principal Investigator Submission date-10/01/07 % Effort 10
Clopidogrel in Acute Stroke and TIA (CASTIA) Trial, Principal Investigator: Claiborne S. Johnston, Trial Coordinating Center- UC San Francisco
The major goal of this multicenter, randomized clinical trial is to determine the efficacy and safety of clopidogrel plus aspirin versus aspirin alone in reducing the 90-day risk of stroke, myocardial infarction, and vascular death after TIA or minor stroke.
- Alberts MJ, Easton JD. Stroke Best Practices: a team approach to evidence-based care. J Natl Med Assoc. 2004 Apr;96(4 Suppl):5S-20S. Review. (2004)
- Easton JD, Albers GW, Caplan LR, Saver JL, Sherman DG; TIA Working Group. Discussion: Reconsideration of TIA terminology and definitions. Neurology. 2004 Apr 27;62(8 Suppl 6):S29-34. (2004)
- Creager MA, Jones DW, Easton JD, Halperin JL, Hirsch AT, Matsumoto AH, O'Gara PT, Safian RD, Schwartz GL, Spittell JA; American Heart Association. Atherosclerotic vascular disease conference: Writing Group V: medical decision making and therapy. Circulation. 2004 Jun 1;109(21):2634-42. No abstract available. (2004)
- Albers GW, Amarenco P, Easton JD, Sacco RL, Teal P. Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004 Sep;126(3 Suppl):483S-512S. (2004)
- Easton JD. Evidence with antiplatelet therapy and ADP-receptor antagonists. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003;16 Suppl 1:20-6. Review. (2003)
- Belch JJ, Topol EJ, Agnelli G, Bertrand M, Califf RM, Clement DL, Creager MA, Easton JD, Gavin JR 3rd, Greenland P, Hankey G, Hanrath P, Hirsch AT, Meyer J, Smith SC, Sullivan F, Weber MA; Prevention of Atherothrombotic Disease Network. Critical issues in peripheral arterial disease detection and management: a call to action. Arch Intern Med. 2003 Apr 28;163(8):884-92. (2003)
- Johnston SC, Easton JD. Are patients with acutely recovered cerebral ischemia more unstable? Stroke. 2003 Oct;34(10):2446-50. Epub 2003 Sep 04. (2003)
- Hart RG, Easton JD. Do we really need a better way to give heparin in acute cerebral ischemia? Stroke. 2002 Mar;33(3):659-60. (2002)
- Wilterdink JL, Easton JD. Related Articles, Links Cerebral ischemia in pregnancy. Adv Neurol. 2002;90:51-62. Review. (2002)
- Alberts MJ, Easton JD. Clopidogrel plus aspirin for stroke prevention. Stroke. 2002 Nov;33(11):2546-7; author reply 2546-7. (2002)
- Albers GW, Caplan LR, Easton JD, Fayad PB, Mohr JP, Saver JL, Sherman DG; TIA Working Group. Transient ischemic attack--proposal for a new definition. N Engl J Med. 2002 Nov 21;347(21):1713-6. (2002)
- Albers GW, Amarenco P, Easton JD, Sacco RL, Teal P. Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke. Chest. 2001 Jan;119(1 Suppl):300S-320S. (2001)
- Easton JD. Future perspectives for optimizing oral antiplatelet therapy. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2001;11 Suppl 2:23-8. (2001)
- Topol EJ, Easton JD, Amarenco P, Califf R, Harrington R, Graffagnino C, Davis S, Diener HC, Ferguson J, Fitzgerald D, Shuaib A, Koudstaal PJ, Theroux P, Van de Werf F, Willerson JT, Chan R, Samuels R, Ilson B, Granett J. Design of the blockade of the glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor to avoid vascular occlusion (BRAVO) trial. Am Heart J. 2000 Jun;139(6):927-33. (2000)
- Easton JD, Wilterdink JL. Dipyridamole Plus Aspirin in Cerebrovascular Disease. Arch Neurol. 2000 Jul;57(7):1086-1087. (2000)