Douglas Gnepp, MD, MS
Professor of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Work: +1 401-444-8513
Applied surgical pathology of the head and neck and salivary glands.
BiographyI am a surgical pathologist with a strong interest and subspeciality expertise in head and neck and salivary gland pathology. I have written over 175 articles and book chapters most of which were in the field of head and neck and salivary gland pathology as well as edited 3 textbooks and have presented talks around the world on various topics in my subspeciality area. I continue to be involved in various applied research projects predominantly in my areas of subspecialization.
Research DescriptionI am currently working on multiple applied research projects including the following:
- Atypical carcinoid tumors of the major salivary glands;
- The oncocytic variant of acinic cell carcinoma;
- Unusual metaplastic lesions of the salivary glands;
- Dedifferentiated tumors of the salivary glands;
- Primary mucin producing tumors of the salivary glands: a clinicopathologic and morphometric study;
- Localization of nanoparticle labelled lectins in various head and neck, breast, lung, and GI tumors.
Grants and AwardsPi Tau Sigma (Mechanical Engineering Honorary Society) 1967
Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honorary Society) 1968
Phi Kappa Phi (National Honorary Society) 1968
Second Honors in Mechanical Engineering, Class Rank 2nd in 97 1969
Tau Beta Pi Fellowship 1969-1970
Robert Young Memorial Scholarship 1970
Scholar of the Leopold Schepp Foundation 1970-1971
Listed in The Best Doctors In America 1994-2012
Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering 1996-1997
Listed in Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 1997,1999-2000, 2006-2007
Listed in International Who's Who of Professionals 1999
Listed in Who's Who in the World 2000, 2004-2005
Listed in National Registry of Who's Who, Life Member 2001
Listed in Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 4th through 8th Editions 2002-2012
Listed in Who's Who in America 2003-2007
Invited Expert WHO classification of Head and Neck Tumours
Consensus Conference/Editorial Review Board
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France July 16-19, 2003
Honorary membership in the British Society of Oral Maxillofacial Pathology 2007
Listed in Cambridge Who's Who 2009/2010
America's Top Pathologists (Consumers' Research Council of America) 2009
Honorary Fellow of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology 2011
Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2013 database.
AffiliationsProfessor of Pathology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1991-present
Pathologist, Department of Pathology, Rhode Island Hospital, 1991-present
Pathologist, Department of Pathology, Miriam Hospital, 2006
- Department of Health & Human Services, Public Health Service, Center for Disease Control, Contract No. 200-85-0810: Selected Cancers Study, "Histologic Review of Nasal and Nasopharyngeal Carcinomas in Vietnam Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange", January 1984 through March 1990, $75,375.
- National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc., Dr. Cynthia L. Jackson and Dr. Douglas R. Gnepp: "Identification of a Gene Located at Chromosome 9p13 Important in Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma", April 2001 through September 2003, $80,000.
- Sams RN, Gnepp DR, "P63 Expression Can Be Used in Differential Diagnosis of Salivary Gland Acinic Cell and Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma". Modern Pathology Head Neck Pathol. 2013;7(1):64-8 (2013)
- Ehdaivand S, Chapin K, Gnepp DR, "Are Biosafety Practices in Anatomic Laboratories Sufficient? A Survey of Practices and Review of Current Guidelines." Human Pathology 2013;44:951-8. (2013)
- Said-Al-Naief N, Sciandra K, Gnepp D, Moderately Differentiated Neuroendocrine Carcinoma(Atypical Carcinoid) of the Parotid Gland: Report of Three Cases with Contemporary Review of Salivary Neuroendocrine Carcinomas. Head and Neck Pathology 2013 Mar 2. [Epub ahead of print]. (2013)
- Gnepp, D, "Mucinous Myoepithelioma, a Recently Described New Myoephithelioma Variant." Special issue: "Salivary Gland Pathology Update". "Head and Neck Pathology," 2013;7 Suppl 1:85-9. (2013)
- Gnepp, DR: My Journey into the World of Salivary Gland Sebaceous Neoplasms. Head and Neck Pathology 2012;6:101110. (2012)
- Tian W, Yakirevich E, Matoso A, Gnepp, DR: IgG4 Positive Plasma Cells in Sclerosing Variant Of Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma. American Journal of Surgical Pathology, 2012;36(7):973-9. (2012)
- Gnepp DR, Wang LJ, Brandwein-Gensler M, et al: Sclerosing polycystic adenosis of the salivary gland: a report of 16 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2006;30:154-64. (2006)
- Brandwein-Gensler M, Hille J, Wang BY, Urken M, Gordon R, Wang L, Simpson JR, Simpson RH, Gnepp DR: Low-Grade Salivary Duct Carcinoma Description of 16 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2004;28:1040-44. (2004)